Old January 29th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default looking for a database of lots of chess games

Hi,
I am doing a small research project related to chess. I was looking
for lots of chess games to use. They don't have to be from top players
(though that would definitely be a plus).
I need tons of games, though. Maybe 10,000, maybe more.
Does such a database exist? Is it free?
Any links would be much appreciated.

Also, are there any freeware chess board libraries for Windows? I
tried WinBoard but it is too old and getting it to build looks like a
major pain.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old January 29th 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 28, 6:40 pm, "responsible" wrote:
Hi,
I am doing a small research project related to chess. I was looking
for lots of chess games to use. They don't have to be from top players
(though that would definitely be a plus).
I need tons of games, though. Maybe 10,000, maybe more.
Does such a database exist? Is it free?
Any links would be much appreciated.

Also, are there any freeware chess board libraries for Windows? I
tried WinBoard but it is too old and getting it to build looks like a
major pain.

Thank you very much in advance.

You can get SCID, a very good free chess database, by going to http://
scid.sourceforge.net/

You can import any large PGN file into SCID. I recommend this one:
ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/pgn/enormous.zip. It's about 270MB of
compressed text, which means that it has MILLIONS of games in it.

Enjoy!

Old February 3rd 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Jan 29, 5:44 am, wrote:
[...]

Go to http://www.icofy.com/ it's the largest chess game database I
know
(370 MB compressed pgn, almost 3 million games from more than 200,000
players
during the period 1515-2007)