Old January 24th 04, 04:00 PM
Stefek Borkowski

Default Fritz species...

Hello,
Can someone tell me the basic difference between Fritz8 species, so to say.
I have Fritz8, lately have gotten my hands on DeepFritz8, and I have heard
of X3D Fritz which played a few weeks ago with Kasparov. I wonder which kind
of chess software is in your opinion the top one.
Regards,
Stefek

Old January 24th 04, 06:38 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Stefek Borkowski" wrote in message
Hello,
Can someone tell me the basic difference between Fritz8 species, so to

say.
I have Fritz8, lately have gotten my hands on DeepFritz8, and I have heard
of X3D Fritz which played a few weeks ago with Kasparov. I wonder which

kind
of chess software is in your opinion the top one.
Regards,
Stefek

X3D Fritz is Deep Fritz with a special opening book and corporate branding.
Which is more important, I'll leave to your good sense.

Old January 24th 04, 09:53 PM
CeeBee

"Stefek Borkowski" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Hello,
Can someone tell me the basic difference between Fritz8 species, so to
say. I have Fritz8, lately have gotten my hands on DeepFritz8, and I
have heard of X3D Fritz which played a few weeks ago with Kasparov. I
wonder which kind of chess software is in your opinion the top one.

X3D Fritz could well be the strongest. It disables you by forcing you to
wear goofy goggles leaving you debilitated.

There is unsubstatiated rumour that Deep Fritz has especially been
developed for multiprocessor use, which may give us a clue that there are
people at ChessBase holding the opinion that calculating with two
processors or two processor threads might lead to a stronger result than
calculating with one processor.

It's mere speculation of course. You have to consult your instruction
manuals that came with your copies. Read page 37 of Fritz 8 and page 31 of
DeepFritz 8, and you'll know.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 24th 04, 10:36 PM
Blackbeard's Ghost

the current fritz lineage starts with fritz 5.32

(thee were older generations of 16 bit fritz's which are not compatible with
current software so we will not discuss them.

the lineage is as follows

fritz 5.32; fritz 6; deep fritz (which actually should have been labelled
deep fritz 6); fritz 7; deep frtiz 7; fritz 8 and the latest and the
greatest is deep fritz 8

all engines labelled "deep" are multiple processor capable; also they are
1/2 a generation newer and slightly stronger than the corresponding "non
deep" versions even on a single processor:;

the difference in strength is incremantal and it requires a large number of
games aaginst various opponents to notice the difference; also the games
should be played on 2 computers with ponder on as otherwise the results are
skewed;

X3D Frtiz is exactly the same as Deep fritz 8 except that it is only single
processor capable and is marketed, not by chessbase, but by www.X3D.com

however the cost of either is identical so one cannot save money by buying
the single processor version from X3D rather than the dual processor capable
Deep Fritz 8.

following the above convention, the next fritz release should be only single
processor capable and called Fritz 9, followed by a dual processor capable
deep fritz 9 and so on

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Old January 25th 04, 01:36 PM
Stefek Borkowski

Blackbeard's Ghost wrote:
following the above convention, the next fritz release should be only
single processor capable and called Fritz 9, followed by a dual
processor capable deep fritz 9 and so on

I hope this clarifies the issue.

It sure does. Thank you so much for your time to explain these detailes to
me. I haven't realized that X3D is only a single processor version contrary
to DeepFritz8. As I have already installed Fritz8, I think I will just add a
DeepFritz8 engine and switch to use it as a standard. However I have noticed
an interesting advantage of Shredder8 engine over all other engines that I
have had up to date. It seems faster and deals better with closed positions.
Try that one below with Shredder8 and Fritz8 for example. You'll be
surprised to see the difference. Only Shredder8 survives gaining a draw!!!
Shame on DeepFritz8 They should have probably chosen Shredder to shoot
out Kasparov...
Below is the test position. Regards,
Stefek

# ----------------------------------
[Event "?"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2004.01.23"]
[Round "?"]
[White "DeepFritz 8"]
[Black "Stefek"]
[Result "*"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "6kr/5b1p/2p3pP/rpPp1pP1/pP1PpP2/P3P3/1K6/8 w - - 0 1"]
[PlyCount "1"]

1. bxa5 *
# ----------------------------------

Old January 25th 04, 02:14 PM
Josť de Paula

Em Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:36:16 +0100, Stefek Borkowski escreveu:

6kr/5b1p/2p3pP/rpPp1pP1/pP1PpP2/P3P3/1K6/8 w - - 0 1
[PlyCount "1"]

1. bxa5 *
# ----------------------------------

I guess that at one ply it isn't fair to the computer; olde Crafty 19.1
here sees the score as -12.5 at depth 25 so far, but doesn't make the
fatal move.

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Old January 25th 04, 03:01 PM
Stefek Borkowski

Josť de Paula wrote:
Em Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:36:16 +0100, Stefek Borkowski escreveu:

6kr/5b1p/2p3pP/rpPp1pP1/pP1PpP2/P3P3/1K6/8 w - - 0 1
[PlyCount "1"]

1. bxa5 *
# ----------------------------------

I guess that at one ply it isn't fair to the computer; olde Crafty
19.1 here sees the score as -12.5 at depth 25 so far, but doesn't
make the fatal move.

Maybe your right, though Shredder8 coped successfully with this task under
the same conditions (I mean the machine and time to think). By the way, how
do I increase analysis strength of the engine. Is this only the time to
think, or what else and where you set it up on Fritz interface? I already
know the importance of hashtable size and Nalimov tablebases.
Regards,
Stefek

Old January 25th 04, 03:08 PM
Josť de Paula

Em Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:01:29 +0100, Stefek Borkowski escreveu:

Josť de Paula wrote:
Em Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:36:16 +0100, Stefek Borkowski escreveu:

6kr/5b1p/2p3pP/rpPp1pP1/pP1PpP2/P3P3/1K6/8 w - - 0 1
[PlyCount "1"]

1. bxa5 *
# ----------------------------------

I guess that at one ply it isn't fair to the computer; olde Crafty
19.1 here sees the score as -12.5 at depth 25 so far, but doesn't
make the fatal move.

Maybe your right, though Shredder8 coped successfully with this task under
the same conditions (I mean the machine and time to think). By the way, how
do I increase analysis strength of the engine. Is this only the time to
think, or what else and where you set it up on Fritz interface? I already
know the importance of hashtable size and Nalimov tablebases.
Regards,
Stefek

Looks like your Fritz is limited to search one ply, i.e., one half-move
I say that because of [PlyCount "1"]. You shoud check that its search
isn't limited by ply.

As an aside, my pal Crafty 19.1 continues analyzing the position here,
depth 29, score -12.82 and no sign of bxa5; I believe that, given enough
time, he will eventually reach a draw by 50 move (but 100 ply is a bit
much, I suppose...)

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Old January 25th 04, 07:20 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Blackbeard's Ghost" wrote in message

X3D Frtiz is exactly the same as Deep fritz 8 except that it is only

single
processor capable and is marketed, not by chessbase, but by www.X3D.com

X3D Fritz is multi-processor capable, I saw the box it ran on against Gary
K. with my own eyes, and it was running 4 Pentium Processors.

Old January 26th 04, 08:58 AM
HD

CeeBee skrev:

It's mere speculation of course. You have to consult your instruction
manuals that came with your copies. Read page 37 of Fritz 8 and page 31 of
DeepFritz 8, and you'll know.

Recommendable, indeed.