Old January 30th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default CA 2.0 - a presentation

Another old, but good, database is Chess Assistant 2.0 for DOS. As
one today can run DOS programs neatly under WinXP, using DOSBox,
this database could be revived. A presentation with screen shots can be
found he
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/ca2.htm

M. Winther
Old January 31st 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:24:09 +0100, "M Winther"
wrote:

Another old, but good, database is Chess Assistant 2.0 for DOS. As
one today can run DOS programs neatly under WinXP, using DOSBox,
this database could be revived. A presentation with screen shots can be
found he
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/ca2.htm

M. Winther

This is a superb database for dos. I have the other one Chessbase 4.0
for dos also with Fritz 3. I run it under MS-DOS 6.22 with 64meg ram.
However you need conversion tools in DOS to read PGN files. For some
reason I cannot convert PGN to CA with the DOS tool that is included
with CA 2.0. The program is call PGN2CA.exe. Don't know why it
doesn't work.

EZoto
Old January 31st 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Den 2007-01-31 03:59:11 skrev EZoto :

This is a superb database for dos. I have the other one Chessbase 4.0
for dos also with Fritz 3. I run it under MS-DOS 6.22 with 64meg ram.
However you need conversion tools in DOS to read PGN files. For some
reason I cannot convert PGN to CA with the DOS tool that is included
with CA 2.0. The program is call PGN2CA.exe. Don't know why it
doesn't work.

EZoto

It works just fine! I input, at the DOS prompt: pgn2ca pgnfilename
This always succeeds.

PGN2CA DOCUMENTATION

The PGN2CA program allows you to transfer games in PGN text format into
format
of Chess Assistant database. (PGN format is scpecial format for easy game
interchange.)

This and future versions of program are public domain.

The syntax is
PGN2CA PGN file name [options]

Options may be the following:
Snnnnnn - start processing from game with number nnnnnn
(i.e. skip nnnnnn-1 games)
Ennnnnn - stop processing when nnnnnn games are processed
(including skiped)
Nname - add games to the Chess Assistant base named name
(by default name of Chess Assistant base is the same as
PGN file name.)
C- - ignore all comments (also possible CN, C0)
CV - only with variants (ignore annotations)
CT - only with annotations (ignore variants)
L, - not convert commas to spaces

If you have used CB2CA coverter before you can see that both programs
have the same options.

Example:
PGN2CA BASE.PGN S1200 E5000 C-
Process games from file BASE.PGN. Skip games until 1200'th game and
then process games until 5000'th game. Don't convert any comments.

Notes:
PGN2CA program starts processing a new game when it reads a line beginning
with '[' character. I.e. before any game you can have any number of
comment lines. The program ignores them.

The program stops processing of the game when during moves parsing it reads
first empty line or end game marker ('*' character or game result). Every
next line until first line begining with '[' character is considered to be
a comment.