Old January 31st 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default What's a good free chess program to set up positions?

Hello. I have some chess books to read, and I need a chess program to
use where I can set up the pieces and follow along. Obviously I need
coordinates, and I'd like it to have a selection of pieces.

Is there a favorite program for a task such as this? Can most computer
front ends do this?
Old January 31st 07, 12:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Marty Christion wrote:
Hello. I have some chess books to read, and I need a chess program
to use where I can set up the pieces and follow along. Obviously I
need coordinates, and I'd like it to have a selection of pieces.

Is there a favorite program for a task such as this? Can most
computer front ends do this?

They all can.

I wouldn't worry about co-ordinates. Once you've set up a few
positions, you'll be able to find the squares intuitively.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Crystal Aluminium Composer (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a pupil of Beethoven that's
Old February 2nd 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hello Marty,

There is a free version of Chessbase available for download at:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight/index.asp

If you google your chess book titles, there a good chance you can find a
Chessbase or PGN version of the file for free, too.

Good luck!

dd

Old February 2nd 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

deckerd123 wrote:
There is a free version of Chessbase available for download at:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight/index.asp

Note that this will only read old format (ChessBase 6.0 and earlier)
files and PGN files. It's not compatible with modern versions of
ChessBase and is limited to 8,000 games per database.

If you google your chess book titles, there a good chance you can
find a Chessbase or PGN version of the file for free, too.

But these files will almost certainly contain no textual annotations
and very likely not contain the variations, either.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Poetic Car (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ high-performance luxury car but it's
Old February 4th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

deckerd123 wrote:
There is a free version of Chessbase available for download at:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight/index.asp

Note that this will only read old format (ChessBase 6.0 and earlier)
files and PGN files. It's not compatible with modern versions of
ChessBase and is limited to 8,000 games per database.

-----
Correct, but useless information.
Who cares about an 8,000 game limit if you can only study ONE GAME AT A
TIME?
Why confuse the question by dragging CBF into it, as if that means anything
at all?
If he wants a "free chess program to set up positions", this should work
just fine.

If you google your chess book titles, there a good chance you can
find a Chessbase or PGN version of the file for free, too.

But these files will almost certainly contain no textual annotations
and very likely not contain the variations, either.

----
Incorrect and useless information.
Who cares if the file is annotated if he ALREADY HAS THE BOOK?
There are plenty of sources available for free download of book and magazine
files.
Try Ossimitz http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/book.htm for starters.
Check out The Week In Chess: http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twic.html

Have fun Marty