Old January 25th 04, 10:36 PM
A Stuartgranti

Default Opening Book Training with Shredder 8.0

Hello,
I'm getting back into chess again and picked up Shredder 8.0. From way
back when, I've got the Bangiev Chessbase King's Gambit training CD.
There's gotta be some way to use the info on that disc to suppliment or
strengthen Shredder's King's Gambit repritoire isn't there?

Thanks in advance!

Old January 25th 04, 11:04 PM
Euc1id

If your old CD has the games to any of the following formats, they can be
read with Shredder 8.0:
.PGN .CBH .CBV .CTG .CBF .CBZ .CIP

If I were you, I'd start a new database of Kings Gambit games using Shredder
8.0, and import games from all reliable sources such as your old training
CD. I like to use .PGN format for databases less than 10,000 games because
you can also easily read it with a text editor, but suggest .CBH format for
bigger collections. Of course Shredder 8.0 can convert between these
different formats. Just setup a database in the desired format, then copy &
paste games into it.

After you have a sizable database of Kings Gambit games, you should probably
then make an opening book out of it. Shredder 8.0 can also do that. With
less than a million games it's practical to use an ECO-relative length for
the tree of 25-30, bigger for smaller collections.
--
Euc1id

Old January 26th 04, 08:21 PM
A Stuartgranti

Any suggest for a how to on everything that you suggest. I found the
instructions that came with Shredder a bit lacking.

Thanks!

link.net...

&

Old January 27th 04, 04:22 AM
Euc1id

I understand.

First, let's open a new database for Kings Gambit games. Goto the database
window in Shredder 8 and click the 'create a new database' icon. On the
dialog box which comes up you can select the location, name, and type of
database. I suggest either .PGN or .CBH. Put it wherever you want. And name
it "Kings Gambit DB" or whatever you want. Then click 'Save'. You have just
created a new database for your future Kings Gambit game collection!

Then let's start building your collection by copying & pasting some games
into your new database. You can begin with the Kings Gambit games in the
database that comes with Shredder 8. You can access it on the Shredder 8 CD,
or copy it to your hard drive. Goto the database window in Shredder 8, click
the 'open a database...' icon, locate and select the Shredder 8 database in
the dialog box which appears (it is named simply "database.cbh"), then click
'Open'. You should then see a list of all of the games in the database.

Now, with the Shredder 8 database open, you will somehow want to find all of
the Kings Gambit games therein. You can explore the Openings tab in the
database window, if you wish. Or you can search for all games which have the
position after 1.e4 e5 2.f4. They call that "filtering" the games, rather
than searching, but it means the same thing.

You'll find the filter operation in the Edit menu, or simply press Ctrl-F to
bring up the 'Filter Games' box. As you can see it has 3 tabs to setup
various criteria for your search. You'll need to play around with it a
little bit to become familiar with all of the possibilities. But you don't
have to learn about them all to do our little searching chore. For our
purposes, you will probably want to setup the desired position on the
chessboard screen first, then you can simply copy it into the 'Filter Games'
box by clicking the 'Copy board' button under the 'Position' tab. Then
select the 'Position' box near the bottom of the 'Filter Games' box, and
click OK. That will search the database to locate all games with the desired
position.

With that list of Kings Gambit games in the database window: press Ctrl-A to
select all of the games, then press Ctrl-C to copy them. [Alternately you
can rightclick and use the Edit menu.]

Now open your new Kings Gambit database which you created above and press
Ctrl-V to paste the games into it. [Alternately rightclick and use the Edit
menu.]

How did it work? ...

After you get ready to make an openings book, post here for further
instructions. The operations needed are in the File and Edit menus of
Shredder 8's chessboard window. In a few words: first you create a new
opening book, then import games into it.
--
Euc1id

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message
Any suggest for a how to on everything that you suggest. I found the
instructions that came with Shredder a bit lacking.

Thanks!

link.net...

Old January 29th 04, 03:02 AM
A Stuartgranti

Hey, thanks for the help "Euc1id"! I've got the database created...over
18,600 games. I also copied some of Bangiev's analysis lines in there.
That shouldn't cause any problems with the remainer of the process should
it?

Thanks again!

Old January 29th 04, 04:11 AM
Euc1id

"A Stuartgranti" wrote in message
Hey, thanks for the help "Euc1id"! I've got the database created...over
18,600 games. I also copied some of Bangiev's analysis lines in there.
That shouldn't cause any problems with the remainer of the process should
it?

Thanks again!
___________________________

If you enter analysis lines as "separate games", then they'll show up in
searches of the database, and in the future opening book which you prepare
from it. But if you enter them as variations inside a single game, then of
course they'll only appear in that game. Depends on what you want.

Before you go too far, perhaps you should make an opening book from your
collection so far, to get an idea of what happens:

1) to create the new opening book goto Shredder 8 chessboard screen, File
menu, New, Openings Book - name it whatever you want, and put it wherever
you wish

2) to populate it (build the tree) goto Shredder 8 chessboard screen, Edit
menu, Openings Book, Import Games, point it at your database of Kings Gambit
games, and let it do its thing. An ECO-relative length of 20 is the default,
but I suggest 25-30 for smaller databases.

[It won't take very long to run with your small collection of games, but can
take several hours for large collections. For databases of perhaps 25,000
games or less, it may be practical to select an ECO-relative length of 100
or more, in which case all moves in the entire game collection will appear
in the opening book. But you can't do that with big game collections because
it will take too long to build the tree and/or you'll run out of hard drive
space!? For example I prepared an opening book from Chessbase's Big Database
2004 (2.6 million games) using an ECO-relative length of 25, which took
about 3 hours to run, and the resulting opening book is about 3.3GB in
size.]

3) To view your new opening book, there should be an Openings Book tab in
the Notation pane on the Shredder 8 chessboard window. Or you can open a
separate pane for it: Window menu, Panes, Extra Book Pane. Rightclick in the
openings book pane to select the options you want, particularly Properties,
then check the Statistics box if you want to see colored histograms. It's
quirky. You must allow enough vertical space in the pane or the histograms
may not appear, also they do not survive a restart and must be reactivated
each time. Whatever position is on the chessboard will now generate the
corresponding statistics in your opening book. I also frequently rightclick
in the opening book pane to run the "Search games" operation, which finds
all games in whatever database in open (in the Shredder 8 database window)
corresponding to the chessboard position.
--
Euc1id