Old January 26th 04, 12:31 PM
Marcel Alsemgeest

Default New ChessBase?

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying ChessBase 8.0, but since it is some years old
already, I'm wondering if a new version might be released soon. I've heard
some vague rumours about a ChessBase 9.0, but I can't find anything about
that on the internet. Does anyone in this newsgroup know if a ChessBase 9.0
will appear soon, or not?

Regards,

Marcel

Old January 26th 04, 01:38 PM
Alberich

In article , says...
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying ChessBase 8.0, but since it is some years old
already, I'm wondering if a new version might be released soon. I've heard
some vague rumours about a ChessBase 9.0, but I can't find anything about
that on the internet. Does anyone in this newsgroup know if a ChessBase 9.0
will appear soon, or not?

Regards,

Marcel

This has been the 64,000 dollar question. I've been holding back buying
Chessbase 8 precisely because of that concern. But I happily bypassed
this problem by purchasing Convenkta Chess Assistant 7.1 which right now
IS better than Chessbase 8.0. Remember, Chess Assistant 7.1 is NEWER
than Chessbase 8 and DOES have features that Chessbase 8.0 DOESN'T have.
And with the constant updated versions of Chessbase playing programs
like Fritz makes purchasing Chessbase 8 even more problematic because of
incompatability concerns I have about the database with the newer
Chessbase releases. So, yes, Chessbase is definitely due for an upgrade.
So far, no news on anything about a Chessbase 9.0

However, I can give you some of my concerns on this matter. I've
downloaded and tried the Chessbase Light version and I have to say I'm
plain disappointed with it. It's NOT intuitive. Not as feature rich as
the Chessbase Fritz 8 program and the graphics are absolutely cheezy and
cheap looking. It's hard to navigate and not user friendly. If there's
anything Chessbase has to do with a 9.0 upgrade or release, they'd
better make the program more GUI friendly and more pleasing to the eye
than Chessbase8. My only question is whether Chessbase is delaying any
such Chessbase 9.0 release so they can compare features or do more
upgrading of the package via comparisons to Conveckta's Chess Assistant
7.1

Right now, I'd hold off until I hear anything solid about a Chessbase
9.0 release. I'd just continue purchasing the playing program upgrades
like Shredder 8.0, Deep Fritz 8.0, etc. These programs are way superior
to Chessbase 8 in terns of user friendliness and graphic design of the
GUI. This in my opinion is sorely missing in Chessbase 8.0
Old January 26th 04, 02:59 PM
Thomas T. Veldhouse

On 26 Jan 2004 07:38:10 -0600, Alberich
wrote:

However, I can give you some of my concerns on this matter. I've
downloaded and tried the Chessbase Light version and I have to say I'm
plain disappointed with it. It's NOT intuitive. Not as feature rich as
the Chessbase Fritz 8 program and the graphics are absolutely cheezy and
cheap looking. It's hard to navigate and not user friendly.

I think Chessbase Light is VERY old. If I am not mistaken, it is a
16-bit program written to work with Windows 3.1.

Tom Veldhouse
Old January 26th 04, 03:42 PM
Marcel Alsemgeest

"Alberich" schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

Thanks for this suggestion. I will have a look at CA as well. ChessBase
Light is based on ChessBase 6.0, as I've read on the ChessBase website. So
GUI-wise there will be a lot of difference between CB Light and CB 8.0, I
expect. More info on this, and other suggestions are appreciated!

Old January 26th 04, 05:53 PM
Euc1id

The light version is not similar to Chessbase 8. It's based on a much older
version and only gives a rough idea about some of the operations. The
design, graphics, & operations are greatly enhanced in Chessbase 8.

I use Chessbase 8 without any problems and am happy with it. However I
seldom need to use it because the latest Chessbase GUI's for Fritz,
Shredder, etc. contain most of the same operations built-in. So only those
who do a lot of database work really need Chessbase 8 per se, IMHO.

I don't see any need for a new version (Chessbase 9). Sure there are a few
things that could be improved, but they should rightly be released as
updates. Exception: If they would cut the price in half along with the
release of a new Chessbase 9, then it might be a good deal.
--
Euc1id

. ..

Old January 27th 04, 10:46 AM
HD

I remember the time when I downloaded CBLight: It was early in 1997.
CB8 isn't new, but I wouldn't compare those two at any time!

HD

Old January 27th 04, 12:36 PM
Christoph P_f_rommer

Marcel Alsemgeest wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of buying ChessBase 8.0, but since it is some years old
already, I'm wondering if a new version might be released soon. I've heard
some vague rumours about a ChessBase 9.0, but I can't find anything about
that on the internet. Does anyone in this newsgroup know if a ChessBase 9.0
will appear soon, or not?

I have no idea about future release plans of ChessBase.

But, is it possible, that ChessBase rather goes for a combined
"universal" chess software?

I mean a piece of software with all chess playing functionalities (chess
playing opponent + database + interface for playchess.com + tablebase +
etc) in just one product, instead of continuing seperate solutions?

Right now, the database "ChessBase 8.0" has analysis engines and some
tablebase access (but not to the recent six-piece files, if I got Steve
Lopez on the chessbase.com site right), while "Fritz 8" has basic
database functionalities, interface for playing on
playchess.com/schach.de, collaborative analysis over the server, access
to all current tablebase files etc. This is a bit confusing not only to me.

Unless I'm mistaken, the other main market player ChessAssistant already
combined database and ICC client in one product, didn't they?

Just my two pence,
Christoph