Old January 26th 04, 03:27 PM
Mark

Default CM9K - Big Diff between Win Me and XP

A while back I was curious to see what CM9K rating my Chess Tiger Palm device was playing at using various levels for CTiger.

Example: after a number of games, CTiger (set to move instantly) rated about 1450 vs CM. (CM9K running on 850 mhz pentium III).

I recently upgraded my desktop from Windows Me to XP Home and CM9K. This made my desktop perform more smoothly, so I thought I would check it out again vs Chess Tiger to see if it made any difference in CM's performance.

Result: Chess Tiger, again set to move instantly, is rating a little over 1800 vs CM9K.

Although this might seem to show that CMaster performed better under Windows Me, I think that the change to XP Home (for whatever reason) is getting CMaster to perform more closely to the "Ratings" given to each personality. When CTiger got a 1450 rating vs CM9K under Win Me, I couldn't understand why I couldn't win vs Chess Tiger more often than I did. Now, it seems, I *know* why ;^)

Mark
Old January 27th 04, 02:12 AM
John Merlino

--

This is extremely unlikely, given the accepted increase/decrease in
ratings of computer programs depending on the increase/decrease of CPU

The accepted math is approximately 50-70 rating points per doubling of
CPU speed. Using the high end of this range, and a difference of 350
points, that means that the CPU speed has been halved five times, and
2^5 = 32. So, that equates to your computer running CM at
approximately 1/32 the speed.

So, clearly, there are more variables here that you are not reporting.
Which personalities did you play against? What were the time controls?
And, most importantly, how many games did you play? You cannot arrive
at an acceptably accurate rating for any computer program until you
play at least 100 games with it against other programs with "stable"
ratings.

jm