Old February 6th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Best old Palm for Chess Tiger

Short: Which cheap used Palm should I buy?

Long:

I want to buy a Palm for one specific purpose: I want to use the Chess
Tiger program on Palm, since it is one of the strongest chess computer
solutions available, not counting PC solutions.

I already have a Palm Zire (I think it is called m150 on the back). It
works great for this purpose apart from one thing: It does not have
any backlighting, so if there is no or little light where I am, I
can't see anything.

On the other hand, I don't want to spend money on a new Palm, even the
cheapest one, since used Palms go for very low prices these days and
all of them are more than fast enough to make Chess Tiger a strong
program (especially considering that most of them are easily
overclocked).

But which one should I buy? There are a lot of Palm V, Palm 505 etc.
on the market.

Important: low price, backlighting, good battery life, maybe color
screen.

/David

Old March 4th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I like the Handspring Visor Prism. It has a nice color backlit screen
(relative to other old PalmOS devices) perfect for chess. It runs at 33 MHz,
which is as fast as the older PamsOS devices went before switching from the
Dragonball processor. I use PocketChess Deluxe on a Springboard module, but
you can load HIARCS or Chess Tiger as well. Apparently, some have tested
Chess Tiger on a Visor Deluxe (same processor and memory as the Prism) and
it attains a USCF rating up to 2300!

http://perso.orange.fr/ct_chess/faq.html#speedindex

And as far as having an internal battery, I've replaced the battery on mine
already and it was no big deal.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...r_prism_review

Visor Prisms are frequently sold on eBay under $50.

oups.com...