Old February 7th 07, 11:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default FICS with Varese 0.3.0 Mac OS X

hi everybody,

I found nice GUI to play FICS, it' s called varese. It works with Linux
and maybe winidows. Anyone does play with on Mac OS X.
After install, message tell me there were serious problems. I run it,
ok, i can speak but when i start a game, impossible to move.

So, if anyone can help me or give a functionnal version on Mac OS X.
It would be nice to you.

Thanks a lot

--
areuh
Old June 5th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

util01 a écrit :
hi everybody,

I found nice GUI to play FICS, it' s called varese. It works with Linux
and maybe winidows. Anyone does play with on Mac OS X.

I do play with Xboard on FICS. Never tried varese. Please find my
script for starting Xboard.

#!/bin/bash
# Script to start from the command line the different chess
# applications.
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export CHESSDIR=.
cd xboard-4.2.7/
../xboard -fd ../belofte/build/Universal -fcp "./belofte xboard" -ics -zp
-icshost freechess.org -xzt -xrm '*zippyGameEnd: say thanks\nseek 6
0\nresume\nset shout 0\n' -quiet -soundMove "" -size Small -xexit

PS: You need to have X11 installed.

Yves
Old June 6th 07, 10:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Macchess wrote:
I do play with Xboard on FICS. Never tried varese. Please find my
script for starting Xboard.

#!/bin/bash
# Script to start from the command line the different chess
# applications.
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export CHESSDIR=.
cd xboard-4.2.7/
./xboard -fd ../belofte/build/Universal -fcp "./belofte xboard" -ics -zp
-icshost freechess.org -xzt -xrm '*zippyGameEnd: say thanks\nseek 6
0\nresume\nset shout 0\n' -quiet -soundMove "" -size Small -xexit

PS: You need to have X11 installed.

You also need to be in a specific directory from which
.../belofte/build/Universal is a valid path -- seems unlikely to be the
case for most systems.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Technicolor Robot (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ high-tech robot but it's in realistic
Old June 6th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

David Richerby a écrit :
You also need to be in a specific directory from which
../belofte/build/Universal is a valid path -- seems unlikely to be the
case for most systems.

Indeed, you are right. I have on my personal folder following sub-folders:

~/xboard-4.2.7
~/belofte

both contain self-compiled versions of the above programs. If you need
those, you can download from my web-site.
http://macchess.internetcontact.be. You will be needing to build a
project in Xcode with my belofte source code that is also downloadable
from my web-site.

The script is only an example, you can use any chess program that
supports xboard. Just grab one from the links and modify the script
accordingly.

If this is to complicated, please drop me an e-mail and I will create an
archive with everything included.

Best regards.
Old June 7th 07, 09:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Macchess wrote:
David Richerby a écrit :
You also need to be in a specific directory from which
../belofte/build/Universal is a valid path -- seems unlikely to be the
case for most systems.

Indeed, you are right. I have on my personal folder following
sub-folders:
~/xboard-4.2.7
~/belofte
both contain self-compiled versions of the above programs. If you need
those, you can download from my web-site.

Googling, I see that belofte is an engine. It seems to me that the
original poster was wanting to play on FICS, not run an engine on
FICS. The engine isn't necessary.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Fluorescent Slimy Beer (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a refreshing lager but it's covered