Old February 10th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default chess variant 5x7

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

Old February 11th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 10 Feb 2007 12:01:28 -0800, wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

I've heard of 5x5 and 5x6 variants before, but never 5x7.
http://www.pathguy.com/chess/ChessVar.htm lists a whole bunch of
different variants, and has Java applets to play these variants,
though the applets are not strong players.

Does the variant that you mentioned have a name? How are the pieces
arranged in the initial position? Are castling and en passant
possible in this game?

Tony
Old February 11th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 11 Feb., 07:40, Tony M wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 12:01:28 -0800, wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

I've heard of 5x5 and 5x6 variants before, but never 5x7.http://www.pathguy.com/chess/ChessVar.htmlists a whole bunch of
different variants, and has Java applets to play these variants,
though the applets are not strong players.

Does the variant that you mentioned have a name? How are the pieces
arranged in the initial position? Are castling and en passant
possible in this game?

Tony

I've seen it at a game site, they call it "chesster".
The arrangement is R-Q-K-N-B from left to right (for white).
Pawns can move 1 or 2 squares from the initial position.
They always advance to queen.
Castling is possible, no en passant.

I am interested in a program for that variant in _any_ programming
language.

Helmut

Old February 11th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 10 Feb 2007 12:01:28 -0800, wrote:

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

About 20-25 years ago I wrote in Pascal several programs that would
play chess on small boards. They have a GUI and would move the
pieces with a mouse.

Various sized boards were used. I soon discovered that these
small boards were cramped with little maneuvering space. This
reduced the fun of play and it seemed too different than
64 square chess.

I added two columns of squares on either side. Each was 2 squares
shorter than the full length columns ( whatever the length was for
that particulare small board) . This resulted in somewhat of a
Cross configuration :
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Well you get the idea.
This increased the playing room without increasing the number
of pieces on the back ranks. I did not put pawns on the short
columns, only in front of the heavier pieces.
I called it X-chess.

There is nothing new under the sun . This was originally
suggested for 64-chess by a F.V. Morley in 1945. He published
this in a book "My one Contribution to Chess" The copy I have was
published by George W. Stewart, NY, 1946. Apparently it was
originally published by B.W. Huebsch , New York, 1945. It
contains short examples of play including a knights tour.
I got the idea from this little book.

My Morley died at age 81 in 1980. He was a former vice-
president and chief editor of Harcourt, Brace & Company.

My current computer contains no Pascal programs as I
attempted to shift to c . Those X-chess programs may be
on one of my old computers. They did not play good chess
as I certainly not a chess engine programer. They would
see a checkmate and also play to a depth of about
3 half-moves weighing the piece values.

Please let me know if you want more information from
Mr. Morley's fine little book. It was given to my uncle Paul
many years ago by Mr. Morley and passed on to me.

Regards David Lemper

Old February 11th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hello David,

Your story is impressive. Thank you for sharing.

Well, I seem to have made the same experience as you have.
The space to maneuver is really very little.

Plus, in this particular variant, with _no_ en passant rule,
it is just too easy too interlock the pawns and then do nothing.
Boring!

But thanks anyway, all of you, who answered.

Helmut

Old February 15th 07, 08:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Den 2007-02-10 21:01:28 skrev :

Hello!

I am looking for a chess program that can play a variant:
5x7 board size, 1 king, 1 queen, 1 rook, 1 bishop, 1 knight
plus 5 pawns. Has anyone heard about this variant?

Do you know where I can get a program (with GUI would be nice!)
that can play this variant?

Thank you.

Zillions has 5x5, 5x6, and 6x6 variants as freeware (Los Alamos Chess,
etc).
If you purchase Zillions you can easily create that 5x7 variant yourself
by copying
the code from a 6x6 variant and only change the board size.
http://www.zillionsofgames.com/

Mats