Old January 27th 04, 08:05 PM
John Swartz

Default xboard vs eboard

I'm looking to compile Crafty on OS X and wondering if I should use
xboard or eboard for a GUI. If anyone has tried them both (either under
OS X or other Unix variants), I appreciate their comments as to
preferences/bugs/features/etc.

John
Old January 28th 04, 03:54 AM
Joel Mayes

•In article , John Swartz wrote:

I'm looking to compile Crafty on OS X and wondering if I should use
xboard or eboard for a GUI. If anyone has tried them both (either under
OS X or other Unix variants), I appreciate their comments as to
preferences/bugs/features/etc.

John

eboard looks better and is in general easier to use, and you
can change chess engine or net chess servers without quiting
the program, but requires extra libraries and more disk space
then xboard

xboard allows you to use crafty to analize a game from a PGN file
and comes with cmail which simplifies email chess.

I haven't noticed any major bugs with either, I have both installed
and currently use mostly eboard and scid (a chess database program)
under my own cobbled together linux distro.

Cheers

Joel

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |