Old January 29th 04, 10:27 AM
Joel Mayes

Default How to dumb crafty down?

Subject says it all really, I would like to draw or win the
occasional game :-)

Thanks is advance

Joel

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |
Old January 29th 04, 03:11 PM
Robert Hyatt

Joel Mayes wrote:
Subject says it all really, I would like to draw or win the
occasional game :-)

Thanks is advance

Joel

Some steps:

1. ponder=off (if you don't do this, the rest of these steps will
fail miserably).

2. st=n where n is something small like 1 or .1. This is the time in
seconds Crafty will think before making a move.

3. look at the "eval" command
You can use this to "dumb down" the evaluation. IE for example,
"eval pscale 50" reduces the passed pawn scoring to 50% of it's normal
weight. "eval pscale 0" will make crafty pretty well oblivious to passed
pawns of any kind.

4. look at the "extension" command and turn the extensions down or even
set them to zero to disable them. That will reduce the tactical
ability of the program further, after you have already limited its
total search time with st=n.

In short you need to reduce it's time to compute, and reduce the weights for
the various bits of knowledge it has. If you reduce one without the other,
you end up with an unbalanced player. Just toning down the eval weights will
still leave it _very_ strong tactically, but positionally dumb. It won't
feel right.

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |

--
Robert M. Hyatt, Ph.D. Computer and Information Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Old January 30th 04, 11:03 AM
Joel Mayes

•In article , Robert Hyatt wrote:
•Joel Mayes wrote:

Subject says it all really, I would like to draw or win the
occasional game :-)

Thanks is advance

Joel

Some steps:

snip

Thanks!!

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |