Old January 29th 04, 05:38 PM
Largo SQL Tools

Default Fritz 8 Question #1

What is the best way for me to "dumb down" Fritz 8? What I really like to
be able to do is to set it to play at say 1300, then 1350, then 1400 etc.
until I can no longer beat it. Is it possible to do this?

Old January 29th 04, 06:14 PM
Mark

"Largo SQL Tools" wrote in message
What is the best way for me to "dumb down" Fritz 8? What I really like to
be able to do is to set it to play at say 1300, then 1350, then 1400 etc.
until I can no longer beat it. Is it possible to do this?

I had alot of trouble with getting Fritz 7 to play down to 15-1600 levels -
handicap and fun wasn't accurate at all (Fritz played much higher than the
handicap you assigned) - although you can increase the "blunder range" scale
(can't recall what it is called, but it is in the Handicap and Fun dialog
box).

Sparring is OK, but I never cared for it. Friend mode is pretty good.

I did a search recently on this, and found an old post that said the best
way to get Fritz to play at/near the level you set at it is to play a rated
game. I tried it out, and for some reason it played much closer to the
level you assign to it than in Handicap and Fun mode.

Try it and see what you think. However! You will definitely need to use a
weaker engine in order to get Fritz 8 to play down as far as you have
indicated.

Mark

Old January 30th 04, 02:52 PM
HD

Thomas T. Veldhouse skrev:

Mark wrote:

Try it and see what you think. However! You will definitely need to use a
weaker engine in order to get Fritz 8 to play down as far as you have
indicated.

Then you would not be playing Fritz 8 ... you would be playing the
weaker engine.

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Yes, indeed: If you fire up Bambam, you don't fire up Fritz 8!