Old February 15th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Learn Chess Or Call Me An Idiot!! (FREE electronic chess book for beginners!)

http://www.chessnia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246

After working for the Sydney Academy Of Chess for more than a year,
doing chess coaching at many schools all over Sydney, I was inspired
by the experience and a few months ago I started working on an
interesting project: a free book which would complement my coaching at
those schools so that kids could use it as reference, but also a
valuable tool in itself for anyone (kid or adult) wanting to learn
chess from scratch.

But how exactly did this coaching experience inspire me? In two ways:

I've been a chess player for more than 30 years (International Master
Title at 23) and a chess coach for more than 15, and teaching chess to
beginners has renewed my interest in chess itself after realizing how
much it can mean to them, despite the fact that they've only got to
know it for a few months...

Inevitably, in any classroom or group you'll always get a number of
students who fall behind. When writing the book, I was continually
thinking about those people: perhaps this book can be an aid to their
understanding of the basics of chess.

Anyway, a few months ago I finally released it, and I've called it:
"Learn Chess Or Call Me An Idiot!!". (and to avoid any
missunderstandings, "me" refers to me, the writer!).
As a book reader myself, I've always felt the urge to ask questions
about what I was reading, and often never got any answers... that's
why I've tried to make this book an interactive experience:

I've set up a support section on my forum so that anyone who has read
the book can ask questions, make comments, suggest improvements, etc.

Online quizzes are currently being built, 6 of them are already
available. (as I said, completely FREE)

New versions of the book will be published. They will include
suggestions by the readers, and new features as well.
The book contains lots of animated graphics, smileys and, well, the
ocassional joke (ok, I've tried to write witty explanations, but don't
expect too much from a serious guy like me )

The book is completely FREE and so is the support for it.

At present, you can download it from 2 different sites:

http://www.chessnia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246 (Official
Chessnia Site)
http://www.gemx.com/ebooks_download.php (Download from GEMX site)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Old February 16th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Chessnia wrote:

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

I have a mac.
Old February 16th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I have a mac.

Unfortunately the book can't be read on a mac unless you use one of
those modern mac computers which can run both mac OS and Windows.
You can still use the forums for help though.

Greetings.