Old January 29th 04, 07:21 PM
Gregory Topov

Default Deactivating CM9000 opening video?

Anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the opening video when starting
CM9000? I realize that a mouseclick will cancel the rest of the video, but
is there an executable command or other workaround that will run the game
without even starting the opening video? Thanks in advance for any tips!
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old January 29th 04, 10:18 PM
NoKetch

Anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the opening video when starting
CM9000? I realize that a mouseclick will cancel the rest of the video, but
is there an executable command or other workaround that will run the game
without even starting the opening video? Thanks in advance for any tips!
--
Gregory Topov

Sure, delete or rename the video file. I don't recall the name of this file,
since i deleted it.

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Dave

Old January 30th 04, 12:49 AM
John Merlino

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message m...
Anyone know if it's possible to deactivate the opening video when starting
CM9000? I realize that a mouseclick will cancel the rest of the video, but
is there an executable command or other workaround that will run the game
without even starting the opening video? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Three simple ways to do this:

1) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where you installed
CM9000 (usually "C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Chessmaster 9000"). There
you will find a file called CMMovie.exe. Simply rename or delete this
file, and the intro movie will no longer play.

2) Using the exact same method as in #1, but saving a bit more
hard-drive space, you can delete the file called CM9000.bik, which is
the actual movie file itself.

3) You can keep the two files mentioned above on your hard drive, just
in case you change your mind, by doing this. In the folder mentioned
above, there is a file called CM.INI. Open this file with any simple
text editor, such as Notepad. Look for the "[settings]" group, and the
line in it that says "IntroMovie=1". Change this to read
"IntroMovie=0" and save the file. The intro movie will no longer play.

jm
Old January 30th 04, 03:50 AM
Gregory Topov

"John Merlino" wrote in message
om...
3) You can keep the two files mentioned above on your hard drive, just
in case you change your mind, by doing this. In the folder mentioned
above, there is a file called CM.INI. Open this file with any simple
text editor, such as Notepad. Look for the "[settings]" group, and the
line in it that says "IntroMovie=1". Change this to read
"IntroMovie=0" and save the file. The intro movie will no longer play.

John, you're one guy who is very generous with your help - and should be
publicly recognized for that fact - thank you so very much! Option 3 worked
perfectly.

Another question. I suspect that the answer to this one is going to be:
"it's not possible."
Is it possible to right click on a PGN file in Windows Explorer and have
ChessMaster automatically open that PGN file into the Game Room?
Currently if I'm browsing Windows Explorer, I can right click on a PGN, and
choose "Open With" and select a program like Scid, or Arena, and it will
automatically open the PGN in that software. I've tried it with
ChessMaster, but it just opens CM into the log-in sequence, and not into the
Game Room. So the only way right now to do it in CM is the long way of
choosing "load PGN", finding the right directory, opening the PGN etc.

Another nice feature would be when examining a game from a PGN file, to have
an option or button that would allow you to immediately view the next game
in the PGN file. Thist would save having to load the game list, and
selecting the chosen game. Especially if you're viewing a PGN file with
100s of game (like the 825 annotated classics that come with CM), it's
easier to just have a button or option that lets you go to the next game in
the PGN file, rather than bring up the game list, and find e.g. number 603.
Most software (eg Arena, Scid) has such a function, and it would also
enhance CM.
If it's not possible in CM, is there someone I can email such suggestions to
in the CM development team? I'm assuming that eventually there will be a
CM10K or similar...any ideas where I can address such suggestions to?

The main reason for the above suggestion is because I have some PGN files
with tactical problems, and the "Mentor Lines" and similar features in CM
are very nice to use while solving them (or checking my answers). It's a
pain though to have to load the file and game list each time, just to get to
the next problem in the PGN.

-Gregory

Old January 30th 04, 03:46 PM
John Merlino

[...]

Those are both good ideas, but neither one of them is possible with
CM9000. I don't know who, in particular, you could e-mail who is
currently working on CMX000 (as I like to call it). Your best bet is
to send the request to and hope that somebody
actually reads it.

However, you don't have to reload the PGN file every time you want to
load a new game. Just leave the dialog with the list of the games open
and you can double-click on any game in the list and it will be
immediately loaded. Yes, I know that the dialog takes up a lot of
space. Hopefully, you run Windows in a large resolution, or perhaps
can do without most of the support windows and only have the Game
Status and Mentor Lines window open as well. That should clear up
enough space for you to do this without too much annoyance.

jm

Old January 30th 04, 04:02 PM
Gregory Topov

Thanks John!