Old January 30th 04, 01:56 PM
Seeker3333361465

Default Playing Strength

I got chessmaster 9k + Fritz 8
I understand the machine can't play full power unless U give it 2 hours 2 make
40 moves
I only give it + me 15 minutes , + I set it at 2400 , my guess is cause of
the time limit it only playing bout 1300 U need 2 give it bout 3 minutes 2
make a move 4 it to play at full strength , correct ?
on Chessmaster 9k if U set it at 2400 even w/3 minutes per move it only
plays at 2200 strength , and w/time limits like mine its probably at 1200
Old January 30th 04, 07:13 PM
John Merlino

(Seeker3333361465) wrote in message ...
I got chessmaster 9k + Fritz 8
I understand the machine can't play full power unless U give it 2 hours 2 make
40 moves
I only give it + me 15 minutes , + I set it at 2400 , my guess is cause of
the time limit it only playing bout 1300 U need 2 give it bout 3 minutes 2
make a move 4 it to play at full strength , correct ?
on Chessmaster 9k if U set it at 2400 even w/3 minutes per move it only
plays at 2200 strength , and w/time limits like mine its probably at 1200

It's difficult to understand what you are trying to say (for several
reasons).

However, if I understand you correctly (and you're not a troll), you
SEEM to be saying that the Chessmaster engine plays at a 1200 rating
if you give it 15 minutes for the entire game. Is this what you are
saying? If so, then you are VERY wrong. Actually, in human vs.
computer play, it is generally the COMPUTER that scores better as the
time control gets shorter. In other words, computers play blitz games
better than humans.

Additionally, no matter WHAT the time control, the Chessmaster engine
will not play below 2400 USCF -- not under any circumstances, assuming
you are using a reasonably powerful computer (at least a 1.0GHz
machine). And, when I make the estimate of 2400 above, I am actually
pretty confident that the engine won't even play below 2500.

On a very fast computer, you're looking at more like 2600-2650.
Specifically, speaking, the Chessmaster engine (using four different
personalities) beat the US Champion about 1 1/2 years ago in a 4-game
2/120 match (meaning, you start with 2 minutes and you get 2 minutes
for each move). This is equivalent to about a 90-minute game, which is
faster than your 40 moves in 2 hours time control that you mention
above.

Now, of course, if you are using one of the weaker personalities, then
certainly the strength can be lowered considerably. I'm only referring
to the default Chessmaster personality (which isn't even the strongest
for tournament time controls).

jm
Old January 31st 04, 06:27 AM
Simon

Hi John,

Which of the personalities is the strongest at tournament time controls?
Also, do you have the settings for any custom personalities which are
interesting to try out? I would be looking for something like a 'Tal' type
personality, that sacs on instinct, rather than calculation.

Any ideas?

TIA

Simon

(great product BTW, have really enjoyed it!)

SNIP

Old January 31st 04, 06:39 PM
John Merlino

"Simon" wrote in message . au...
Hi John,

Which of the personalities is the strongest at tournament time controls?
Also, do you have the settings for any custom personalities which are
interesting to try out? I would be looking for something like a 'Tal' type
personality, that sacs on instinct, rather than calculation.

Any ideas?

TIA

Simon

(great product BTW, have really enjoyed it!)

The default Chessmaster personality is the strongest overall
personality that ships with the game. There are many custom
personalities that have been published on the net that are tailored to
specific usages (tournament time controls on faster machines is the
most common, some are for blitz, etc.).

I think that the SKR personality is probably the most successful and
respected for tournament time controls. Here are the settings:

;---- CM9_SKR.txt
; A personality created by Sedat Canbaz, Kurt Utzinger, Rolf Buehler
cm_parm opp=100 opn=100 opb=100 opr=100 opq=100
cm_parm myp=100 myn=100 myb=100 myr=100 myq=101
cm_parm cc=105 mob=110 ks=155 pp=100 pw=100
cm_parm cfd=0 sop=100 avd=-2 rnd=0 sel=12 md=99

You can also get the full report on the SKR personality at:

www.utzingerkurt.com/cm9_skr_report.htm

On this site you will also find Kurt's Utz12n setting, which is also
good.

jm
Old January 31st 04, 07:20 PM
David Richerby

Simon wrote:
Which of the personalities is the strongest at tournament time controls?
Also, do you have the settings for any custom personalities which are
interesting to try out? I would be looking for something like a 'Tal'
type personality, that sacs on instinct, rather than calculation.

If you manage to program a computer to sacrifice material on instinct,
you've just solved a major problem in artificial intelligence. :-)

Dave.

--
David Richerby Revolting Chicken (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a farm animal but it'll turn your

Old February 1st 04, 02:48 AM
Simon

"David Richerby" wrote in message
If you manage to program a computer to sacrifice material on instinct,
you've just solved a major problem in artificial intelligence. :-)

and isn't AI just moving forwards in leaps and bounds...

Old February 1st 04, 03:03 AM
Simon

Perhaps a better description would have been, a move based on positional
factors, instead of material ones. ?! or a variable move evaluation
function which detects potential flaws in a position, and exploits them.
Do any of the current program evaluation routines have the ability to change
the weighting of individual function components based upon positional
considerations such as these?

For example, the bishop sac on h7, is a material loss until either a mate
position is reached, or the opponent gives enough material back to even the
position. So this would not generally be made until the eval function
detects, from a search, that it gains all the material back plus.

Old February 1st 04, 11:26 AM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Simon wrote:

Which of the personalities is the strongest at tournament time controls?
Also, do you have the settings for any custom personalities which are
interesting to try out? I would be looking for something like a 'Tal' type
personality, that sacs on instinct, rather than calculation.

Any ideas?

You will find lots of strong personalities he

http://www.grailmaster.com/misc/chess/comp/cm.html

Claus-Juergen
Old February 1st 04, 06:09 PM
Simon

Thanks for the link Claus, it is appreciated.

Regards

Simon

Old February 2nd 04, 08:20 AM
Alexander Belov

I'm not aware of any game where human sacrificed more than one pawn
to GM computer program without win in PV of the nearest 10 moves (20 plies)
and could win after that. IMHO this "instinct" sacrifice works only against
other humans that accept it.
Computer program can be programmed to sacrifice material for positional
advantage
only if it will "underestimate" human's ability to refuse sacrifice. If
computer
program "thinks" it can fool human opponent it will sacrifice pawn or two.