Old January 30th 04, 02:52 PM
Gregory Topov

Default World Record Attempt TODAY

From http://www.chessbrain.net :

The ChessBrain project will attempt to establish a new World Record for the
largest number of machines used to play a single game against a single human
opponent. The attempt will be made in accordance to the guidelines
established by the Guinness World Records Office in London.

The World Record attempt will take place on Friday January 30th 2004 in
Copenhagen, Denmark. The event will take place at 5:00 PM in Denmark.

8:00 AM Los Angeles California USA
11:00 AM New York USA
4:00 PM London

The distributed chess computing team will be matched against GrandMaster
Nielsen of Denmark.

For more info, visit: http://chessbrain.net/wra.html
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old January 30th 04, 04:09 PM
Gregory Topov

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
. ..
From http://www.chessbrain.net :

The ChessBrain project will attempt to establish a new World Record for

the
largest number of machines used to play a single game against a single

human
opponent. The attempt will be made in accordance to the guidelines
established by the Guinness World Records Office in London.

For more info, visit IRC channel #chessbrain

The game can be followed live he http://chessbrain.net/viewers.html

For details on how to participate, see he http://chessbrain.net/wra.html

The game is also being relayed at freechess.org, currently: "obs 99"

Old January 30th 04, 10:59 PM
Gregory Topov

ChessBrain's game against GM Nielsen was a draw by repetition, after some
tactical fireworks in a complicated position. PGN to follow, when it's
available.
Early reports suggest that the number of computers that produced
ChessBrain's moves peaked over 2000.
More information to follow.

Old January 31st 04, 12:46 AM
Gregory Topov

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message:
ChessBrain's game against GM Nielsen was a draw by repetition, after some
tactical fireworks in a complicated position. PGN to follow, when it's
available.
Early reports suggest that the number of computers that produced
ChessBrain's moves peaked over 2000.

This is now confirmed. The official web-site states:
"Our World Record attempt is now complete. We had serious technical
difficulties early in the game, but managed to resolve them! The result of
the game was a draw. ChessBrain's new official record now stands at 2070
machines from over 50 different countries." - http://www.chessbrain.net

Old February 1st 04, 06:31 PM
Gregory Topov

Default World Record Attempt (PGN)

Gregory Topov" wrote in message
.. .
"Gregory Topov" wrote in message:
ChessBrain's game against GM Nielsen was a draw by repetition, after

some
tactical fireworks in a complicated position. PGN to follow, when it's
available.
Early reports suggest that the number of computers that produced
ChessBrain's moves peaked over 2000.

This is now confirmed. The official web-site states:
"Our World Record attempt is now complete. We had serious technical
difficulties early in the game, but managed to resolve them! The result of
the game was a draw. ChessBrain's new official record now stands at 2070
machines from over 50 different countries." - http://www.chessbrain.net

Here's the official game sco

White: GM Peter Heine Nielsen
Black: ChessBrain

1. d4 g6 2. c4 Bg7 3. e4 d6 4. Nc3 Nf6 5. Nf3 o-o 6. Be2 e5 7. o-o a5 8. Re1
exd4 9. Nxd4 Bd7 10. Bg5 Nc6 11. Nxc6 Bxc6 12. f3 Qd7 13. Qd2 Rfe8 14. Rac1
h5 15. Kh1 Nh7 16. Bh6 Bxh6 17. Qxh6 Re5 18. Nd5 Rae8 19. Qd2 b6 20. Bd3 Qd8
21. Rf1 Nf6 22. b3 Bb7 23. Qc2 Nd7 24. f4 R5e6 25. e5 c6 26. f5 gxf5 27.
Bxf5 c6xd5 28. Bxe6 e8xe6 29. Rxf7 Kxf7 30. Qh7+ Ke8 31. Qxh5+ Ke7 32. Qg5+
Ke8 33. Qh5+ Ke7 34. Qh7+ 1/2-1/2

Here's some interesting analysis from one observer:
The key moment of the game came at move 26. where white had a number of
complicated choices.
A. 26.Qf2 Re5 27.Qg3+ Kh8 28.Qf4 Kh7 29.exf5 Nc5 30.f6+ Nxd3 31.Qg3 Rg8
32.Qxd3+ Kh8 33.Rf5 Qe8
B. 26.Rxf5 c6 27.Ne3 and white maintains the positional advantage
C. 26.exf5 Re5 27.f6! Bxd5 28.cxd5 Nxf6 (Rxd5? Bc4!) 29.Qf2
C1. ... Rxd5 30.Ba6! Kg7 31.Rc3
C2. ... Kg7 30.Qg3+ Kh8 31.Qf4 Kg7 32.Rc3
Instead the game continued 26.e5 and now it is black that has the difficult
decision.
A. 26. ... Rxe5 27.Bxf5 (27.Rxf5 c6, 27.Qf2 Qg5) Bxd5 28.cxd5 Qg5
B. 26 ... Nxe5 27.Bxf5 (27.Rxf5 Nxd3 28.Qxd3 Re1+) Rh6 28.Qf2 h4
after the game's 26 ... c6 neither side has an interest in avoiding the
draw.

Old February 1st 04, 06:34 PM
Gregory Topov

Default World Record Attempt (Report)

"Gregory Topov" wrote:
ChessBrain's game against GM Nielsen was a draw by repetition, after

some
tactical fireworks in a complicated position. PGN to follow, when it's
available.
Early reports suggest that the number of computers that produced
ChessBrain's moves peaked over 2000.

This is now confirmed. The official web-site states:
"Our World Record attempt is now complete. We had serious technical
difficulties early in the game, but managed to resolve them! The result of
the game was a draw. ChessBrain's new official record now stands at 2070
machines from over 50 different countries." - http://www.chessbrain.net

Congratulations to the ChessBrain team and all participants. Here's the
first report from ChessBrain:
http://www.chessbrain.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=2830#2830

We did it!!! Our world record attempt has been successful.

ChessBrain has become the first Distributed Computing network to play an
actual game against a single human opponent. Over two thousand computers
(2070) participated during the game! Our prior record involved only 846
machines.

We encountered many challenges before and during the event. The actual game
resulted in a draw which means that despite the numerous physical and
technical challenges; ChessBrain managed to pull through and held its own
against one of the strongest players in the world.

I've stated earlier that Win, Lose or Draw. our goals were to see ChessBrain
successfully complete an actual game under official tournament conditions
against a strong player. This has been one of the criteria's set forth by
the Guinness World Record office.

I intended to post stats and a full report yesterday. However, I decided on
taking a small rest and didn't actually wake up until the evening on the
following day! I've finally posted stats:
http://www.chessbrain.net/stats/wra-stats.html and I apologize to all for
the delay!!

Here's a quick summary:

- Thousands of people from over 56 countries participated
- The top countries were the US, Denmark, UK, Switzerland, and Germany all
of whom have been strong supporters during the past year.
- The top teams were US-Distributed, Free-DC, BSD-DK.dk, and SwissTeam.NET.
Interestingly, the number of people who were not part of a team processed
enough work to rank third as a team!
- Lund University/LTH was the top University, and El Granada Elementary was
the top elementary school, followed by Hatch Elementary

Because of the technical difficulties we experienced there is no doubt in
our minds that more people attempted to participate than actually managed to
get through. We understand that several universities contributed clusters of
computers during the event which played a role in limiting the number of
people who could participate worldwide. At least one university in Denmark
used a 250 processor cluster! I suspect, but have not yet confirmed, that a
university in German may have used a large cluster of machines as well.

The game lasted several hours before resulting in a draw. Chess Grandmaster
Peter Nielsen commented that he had set several traps for ChessBrain which
computers normally fall for. but was surprised that ChessBrain refused them!

Present here in Denmark is Colin Frayn, who is ChessBrain's co-developer and
engine author, and Peter Wilson who is the former Chair for the Computer
Chess and Internet Committee at (FIDE) the World Chess Federation. I've
finally had an opportunity to meet both in person. I flew to Denmark with
Cedric Griss, the founder of the Distributed Computing Foundation. Cedric
has been instrumental in helping the team get to Denmark, and supporting the
actual event. Cedric is an old friend and colleague and one of our strongest
supporters.

Colin and I have worked very hard during the past year and we're delighted
with ChessBrain's success! Prior to the event, I had never met Colin and it
has been absolutely fantastic to work with him here in Denmark. During the
actual game, I watched Colin agonize over ChessBrain's calculation. I couldn
't help but think that he looked just like a proud father watching his child
take its first steps!

Peter Wilson has supported us in many ways. He agreed to join the team when
many were unimpressed with ChessBrain. Peter brought considerable
credibility to our efforts and was instrumental in interfacing with the
Guinness world record office in London. Peter Wilson had the pleasure to sit
across from ChesBrain's opponent Chess Grandmaster Peter Nielsen and
physically playing ChessBrain's moves.

Kenneth Geisshirt, one of DKUUG's members and program Chair for the event,
has been absolutely instrumental in creating an opportunity for ChessBrain
to actually play in Denmark!! Kenneth has tried to make this happen for two
years!

The Danish DKUUG group hosted the event and provided first class support! I'
m happy to say that DKUUG members were virtually indistinguishable from the
ChessBrain team as we all worked together during the event! We have new
friends in Denmark and we're pleased that a new historical event took place
in such a wonderful country. Denmark has Kenneth and the DKUUG to thank for
bringing this historical event to Denmark!

Martin Gorm Pedersen, a contact of Cedric Griss, helped us resolve a number
of problems while here in Denmark. Our equipment from the United States had
trouble getting through Air-France, and Martin immediately swung into action
to secure backup equipment for our use during the event. Speaking of
Air-France, Cedric spent a small fortune tracking our luggage and arranging
for our items to be rushed from the airport to our hotel. Martin and his
contacts also made arrangements to complement the Internet access we had
during the event. Martin is one of those rare individuals who is successful
(CEO of his own company) yet doesn't mind rolling up his sleeves and doing
whatever is needed. He actually drove around town getting us food one night
when we were too busy working to leave our hotel!

Eric Schiller built ChessBrain's secret weapon (its opening book library)
and supported us by providing valuable advice and helping to generate
interest in the event. Eric, a Chess master himself, will prepare a game
commentary for our ChessBrain site.

Gavin Roy and EHPG have helped to make ChessBrain a reality over the past
two years. EHPG provides the hosting for ChessBrain's SuperNode server and
for ChessBrain's primary website.

Long time ChessBrain members, Oliver Otte, Sven Herrmann, Carlos Lora
provided critical support during the preparation for the event. Oliver wrote
the member registration system and created the initial database schema for
ChessBrain's statistics database. Sven Herrmann, provided 3D visualization
programs which were used during the event. The 3D images of the game were
broadcasted live to an auditorium of people and broadcasted on the Internet.
We'll have the broadcast available directly on the ChessBrain website as
soon as possible! Carlos Lora provided support in website development,
graphics and marketing. We'll see more of Carlos Lora's work during the next
generations of ChessBrain applications!

Many other people who I've not listed have provided support over the past
few years. It has been a long journey indeed. Well... we did it!
Congratulations to all !!!

- CJ

Attached Images

Old February 1st 04, 09:54 PM
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na Gregory Topov ha escrit:

[...]

Those comments are nonsense, ... maybe there are any missing move???

AT

Old February 2nd 04, 01:45 AM
Gregory Topov

"Antonio Torrecillas" wrote in message
[...]

I think that the comments should be about move 25, not move 26. Does that
resolve it?

Old February 2nd 04, 03:59 AM
mdamien

[...]

Doesn't really resolve it since the moves shown aren't legal at move 25
either.

Matt

Old February 2nd 04, 12:34 PM
Marcel van Kervinck

In rec.games.chess.computer Gregory Topov wrote:
ChessBrain has become the first Distributed Computing network to play an
actual game against a single human opponent.

Much like Zzzzzz did in 1993? (Oh well, that was
against other computers, so that wouldn't count?)

Marcel
-- _ _
_| |_|_|
|_ |_