Old February 25th 07, 03:19 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

Default Shredder Chess for Macs

I was on a hunt for the best chess software out there. I read that
Fritz was the best, but another program with deep archetecture was
Shredder, and it runs on macs. So I downloaded Deep Shredder 9, for
my iMac & I love it. It has won awards for the best speed chess
program, and has that deep archetecture just like Deep Blue.

I like it because it isn't restricted only to playing games against
the AI. It comes with an extensive book of programmed opening moves,
that shows you all of the odds involved. It lets you develope the
board anyway you would like to and play from any point in the game.
You can even switch sides and start letting the AI play your pieces,
and take over the AI's side of the board. And the artificial
intelligence is smart, really really smart.

What Chess programs do all of you play? I think I could become a
grand master if I keep playing with Shredder. I just have to start
playing myself, and my friends, and using the computer to give me
hints and guide me through the games. The AI is good about running
you through all the options on the board.

Old February 25th 07, 03:35 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

In article .com,
"CoreyWhite" wrote:

What Chess programs do all of you play?

I've only dabbled in Chess that comes with OSX and that's been
frustrating enough ;-) If only it had a nicer chess board display.

Hiarcs seems to be a very strong program getting good reviews:
http://www.hiarcs.com/mac_chess_hiarcs.htm

--
Cheers Martin
Old February 25th 07, 08:01 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:36:54 -0700, Michelle Steiner
wrote:

In article .com,
"CoreyWhite" wrote:

What Chess programs do all of you play?

I don't. I learned the game when I was 12 years old; two years later, I
wasn't playing any better, so I gave up the game.

I learned it when I was about 14, played for some time on the
computer, got bored, moved on to better, more involved games. Chess
is just kind of...meh...formulaic I guess would be a good way of
describing it.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm x

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the
best."

"I didn't make reality, Sunshine, I just verbally bitch slapped you
with it."

"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"Your Usenet blinders are my best friend."

"Usenet Filters - Learn to shut yourself the **** up!"

"Drugs killed Jesus you know...oh wait, no, that was the Jews, my
bad."

"There are clingy things in the grass...burrs 'n such...mmmm..."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty ****ing high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage,
endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you
don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton
tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Tell me, would you describe yourself more as a process or a
function?"

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid.
Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast
indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Old February 25th 07, 08:21 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

On 25 Feb, 20:01, Onideus Mad Hatter [email protected]
productions.net wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:36:54 -0700, Michelle Steiner

wrote:
In article .com,
"CoreyWhite" wrote:

What Chess programs do all of you play?

I don't. I learned the game when I was 12 years old; two years later, I
wasn't playing any better, so I gave up the game.

I learned it when I was about 14, played for some time on the
computer, got bored, moved on to better, more involved games. Chess
is just kind of...meh...formulaic I guess would be a good way of
describing it.

I think the appeal is in the mental workout. There is nothing quiet
like orchestrating sacrifices to checkmate your opponent.

I stopped playing Chess for Go, because it's more fun, albeit slightly
more confusing. They say it's the eastern Chess. http://senseis.xmp.net/?WhatIsGo

Old February 25th 07, 08:27 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

productions.net wrote:
On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:36:54 -0700, Michelle Steiner

wrote:
In article .com,
"CoreyWhite" wrote:

What Chess programs do all of you play?

I don't. I learned the game when I was 12 years old; two years later, I
wasn't playing any better, so I gave up the game.

I learned it when I was about 14, played for some time on the
computer, got bored, moved on to better, more involved games. Chess
is just kind of...meh...formulaic I guess would be a good way of
describing it.

I think the appeal is in the mental workout. There is nothing quiet
like orchestrating sacrifices to checkmate your opponent.

I stopped playing Chess for Go, because it's more fun, albeit slightly
more confusing. They say it's the eastern Chess. http://senseis.xmp.net/?WhatIsGo

I get a much better mental workout building stuff with Legos:
http://www.backwater-productions.net...dabedabind.jpg

And it's a LOT more fun than chess...builds creativity too. ^_^

Old February 25th 07, 08:31 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

On Feb 25, 8:36 pm, Michelle Steiner wrote:
In article .com,

"CoreyWhite" wrote:
What Chess programs do all of you play?

I don't. I learned the game when I was 12 years old; two years later, I
wasn't playing any better, so I gave up the game.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Interesting comment. I played chess long time ago with hu-mans and it
was cool. I rarely played since as there were never opportunities to
win - not even progress that is. There was one exception when I played
with a friend a long game in exotic setting. The idea was to look at
the figures at their fullest even to activate their life and visualize
their slow motion and planning. Then I appreciated it having the
ideas inside the game. I don't know what I am saying.

Old February 26th 07, 12:10 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

"CoreyWhite" wrote:
What Chess programs do all of you play?

I don't. I learned the game when I was 12 years old; two years later, I
wasn't playing any better, so I gave up the game.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Interesting comment. I played chess long time ago with hu-mans and it
was cool. I rarely played since as there were never opportunities to
win - not even progress that is. There was one exception when I played
with a friend a long game in exotic setting. The idea was to look at
the figures at their fullest even to activate their life and visualize
their slow motion and planning. Then I appreciated it having the
ideas inside the game. I don't know what I am saying.

Shredder is great software but the only limitation may be that it is
too good. It doesn't have human driven difficulty levels. Even when
both players play at their very best, the game will wind up with only
a few pieces left on the board and a good possibility of a draw, that
if played wrong could give either player a win. The game is nice
because instead of just letting you take moves back, you can move in
and out of the fourth dimension inside of the game, and create
alternate routes, and if they don't work, you just go back to a
checkpoint and traverse another alternate dimension. You can then
save the game and when you play new rounds it will remind you of your
options. But the iMac also comes with other software to network with
players online and see what real people are made of. So I think I
might get online and pit Shredder against real unwitting opponents
with the other socially networkable chess game. I might learn even
more playing that way. It has an open ended client that you can write
programs which play against the AI, or you can even talk to it on a
cell phone.

But on the other side of the token, this deep chess playing AI, is
teaching me how to watch for what the other player may do next. You
shouldn't anticipate what mistake they are making, but you should read
the boards for what possible threats are there. And then when played
right the majority of your deciscions should be an optimal way to
avoid threats while at the same time putting you in an offensive
position. If you can't do both of those things then just keep a look-
out for defense. I think that's how the AI plays. It is lots and
lots of fun.

Old February 26th 07, 04:22 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.magick,alt.2600

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 07:19:10 -0800, a rock fell the sky, hitting
CoreyWhite on the head, and inspiring the following:

What Chess programs do all of you play?

I get a board out and play against my son.

Works for us.

However, you might check out DreamChess. I believe you can run it on a Mac.

http://www.dreamchess.org/

--
kai

closing the doors that surround me
so no one will ever penetrate
complete my retreat just to wait for the day
that never comes so i will laugh alone
Old February 26th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

You should play my friends FRITZ 9 , that would be a good game..

Old February 27th 07, 11:30 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.misc

in article , CoreyWhite
at
wrote on 07/02/25 15:19:

What Chess programs do all of you play?

Currently there are many macintosh chess programmes to choose from. This web
page lists some 41

http://ballz.ababa.net/lidador/martinussoft.html