Old January 30th 04, 10:29 PM
Paolo Pignatelli

Default How do I open Chessbase files?

A friend sent some Chessbase annotated games. The names are French.cbh,
French.cbj, and French,cbp (for e.g.). I downloaded ChessBase Light. Now,
how do I open these these files to see the games and comments?

TIA.

Old January 30th 04, 11:01 PM
CeeBee

"Paolo Pignatelli" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

A friend sent some Chessbase annotated games. The names are
French.cbh, French.cbj, and French,cbp (for e.g.). I downloaded
ChessBase Light. Now, how do I open these these files to see the
games and comments?

CB Light doesn't read the newer CBH files, only the old CBF-file format.
Ask him to send the database to you in the old CBF- or in PGN-format, if
you don't own another ChessBase product like Fritz c.s. able of reading
CBH.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old January 30th 04, 11:43 PM
Gregory Topov

"Paolo Pignatelli" wrote in message
t...
A friend sent some Chessbase annotated games. The names are French.cbh,
French.cbj, and French,cbp (for e.g.). I downloaded ChessBase Light.

Now,
how do I open these these files to see the games and comments?

If you associate *.cbh files with ChessBase Light, double clicking on the
French.cbh file should work.

Alternative 1: try right clicking the French.cbh file, and choose "open",
then browse to the ChessBaseLight executable.

Alternative 2: Click "Open database" in CB Light, browse to where the
French.cbh file is, and open it.

Alternative 3: Get your friend to convert the CB files into a PGN file (also
possible with CB Light)

Success

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old January 30th 04, 11:44 PM
Gregory Topov

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.83...
CB Light doesn't read the newer CBH files, only the old CBF-file format.

Opening *.CBH files in CB Light works fine for me!
It's the new *.CBV (compressed file) that doesn't work in CB Light.

Old February 1st 04, 10:27 PM
CeeBee

"Gregory Topov" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Opening *.CBH files in CB Light works fine for me!
It's the new *.CBV (compressed file) that doesn't work in CB Light.

You are right, it's the other way around. CB Light obviously doesn't read
_CBF_ files, but _does_ read CBH.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"