Old February 27th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.analysis

Default ChessDB (chess database) version 3.6.15 released

I have put a new version of ChessDB.

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

This is a development of Scid, but adds new database features - one of
which I think is unique to ChessDB. (As far as I know, no commercial or
free chess database has it).

* It is possible to quickly download any games in the history of any ICC
member you want. However, you do need a *paid* account on ICC (not a
trial week). ChessDB has a telnet client which connects to ICC and
downloads the games.

Screen shot of this shown at:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/Scid/

where you can see two user-ids were entered (boffman and dougmo) and
their 20 most games downloaded.

BE AWARE, IF YOU SAVE YOUR ICC PASSWORD TO DISK, IT IS NOT ENCRYPTED.

FICS support will be added, but it is a bit more complex than ICC, as
FICS has no command to output PGN. Although someone else has written me
a FICS - PGN converter, I've not integrated this yet. I would rather
get the ICC code optimised first, before worrying about another server.

This code is recent, so will have some problems I fear. Let me know, or
post them to

* Downloads from TWIC too - this is not new, as I had that a couple of
weeks back.

* Ability to import multiple PGN files from one directory - just specify
the directory and ChessDB will find all the pgn files. These are
downloaded via HTTP. A proxy server is supported if you need to use one.

* Other features - see web site.

Dr. David Kirkby

--
Dave (from the UK)