Old February 1st 04, 05:55 PM
ChessliB

Default ChessliB is chess - and chess only

I like to give you this opportunity to see with
your own eyes that ChessliB is not involved
in any of those things we are accused of by
the so called "Internet Complaint Bureau".

To have your attention, our Top 100 players database
(According to Fide's rating list, January the 1th)
are available for free download.

Enjoy and good chess!

I do hope you take this opportunity to see for
your self that at ChessliB - is a site for chess,
and chess only!

Look for the link "Topp 100 players" to the left.

Best regards
-af-
www.chesslib.no

Old February 1st 04, 08:29 PM
ChessliB

"ChessliB" wrote in message
news:a3b[email protected]
I like to give you this opportunity to see with
your own eyes that ChessliB is not involved
in any of those things we are accused of by
the so called "Internet Complaint Bureau".

To have your attention, our Top 100 players database
(According to Fide's rating list, January the 1th)
are available for free download.

Enjoy and good chess!

I do hope you take this opportunity to see for
your self that at ChessliB - is a site for chess,
and chess only!

Look for the link "Topp 100 players" to the left.

Best regards
-af-
www.chesslib.no

One of our collaborating servers (a SQL-database server) is currently
under DoS attack - the attack started 20 min. after my first
posting in this tread. All attacking PC are from/in the same C-net,
we are simply blocking access from the IP numbers in question.

What I do not understand is why anyone will take this trouble
to make things difficult for ChessliB.

I am bit worried; it is not an easy task to take down our main
web servers, but our infrastructure are fare more vulnerable - and
I believed that infrastructure to be well hidden.

Please email me if any problems accessing the site.

-af-

Old February 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Euc1id

I suspect that you have been flamed, and should forget about that "Internet
Complaint Bureau" email. Perhaps it was a competitor? Everything is fair in
love, war, and "business"... )

The exchange rate is working against you with 1 Euro = $1.24 US right now.
Also some USA chess software distributors are absorbing that difference, and
more, so that Chessbase's software is still competitively priced here. For
example I just ordered & received the Shredder 8 and Big Database 2004 CD's
from ChessOutpost.com for $88 US total (including shipping).

Your "ChessliB Main Database" contains 596,489 more games than Chessbase's
"Big Database 2004". I also considered yours, but decided on Chessbase's
offering because I thought the games might be higher quality and their
editing more standardized. But I don't really know. It would be interesting
to compare them to see exactly how they differ, which I suppose might
require some special utility software(?).
--
Euc1id

"ChessliB" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

news:[email protected]

Old February 2nd 04, 10:48 PM
HD

Thomas T. Veldhouse skrev:

ChessliB wrote:

I like to give you this opportunity to see with
your own eyes that ChessliB is not involved
in any of those things we are accused of by
the so called "Internet Complaint Bureau".

Could you explain what you are referring too? What has ChessliB been
accused of?

- --

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Checkout the "It's unbelieveble"'s (I & II)

Old February 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
ChessliB

"HD" wrote in message
k...
---snip--
Checkout the "It's unbelieveble"'s (I & II)

The latest is this e-mail sent to e-mail addresses at the
University of Bergen (where I work). The first passage
of the message are in Norwegian - My translation of this
part:

IMPORTANT
We do not allow the content of this message and/or the message's
"from-address" to be distributed, nor to Mr. Fredriksen or any
third party or to be published.
End of translation
CARBON COPY START
From: Frederic Friedel
Subject: Copyright infringement by Universitetet i Bergen

VIKTIG
Vi tillater ikke innholdet av denne notification eller
denne Email adresse fordelt eller til Herr Fredriksen
eller til tredjeparts eller publisert.

Site: www.chesslib.no
Owner:
Arild Fredriksen
Eidsvågveien 30
N-5101 Bergen Norway
Work:
Universitetet i Bergen
Psykologiske fakultet
Jonas Lies Vei 91
N-5009 Bergen Norway
http://www.uib.no

The site www.chesslib.no sells by download chess
databases and opening books hosted on the FTP server
of Universitetet i Bergen
This material consists of slightly modified material
that is copyrighted by Chessbase GMBH
http://www.chessbase.de
and constitutes copyright infringement.

We advice you to block the access of Mr. Fredriksen to
your FTP server.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
END OF CARBON COPY

Best regards
Arild Fredriksen

From: Frederic Friedel

[...]

Without looking any further - for now - there's one very, very strange
thing he Frederic Friedel (and Chessbase) using an Yahoo address!!
I've had a couple mails from the firm myself - including Frederic - and
I just don't believe they would write anybody without using a legal
Chessbase address ( and even more so when its supposed to be some kind
of legal matter!).
In fact, and since you should have nothing to worry about in the regards
of CB, it just might be an idea to let Frederic (Chessbase) know about
somebody imposing as him in such a matter.

Somebody seems to be mad at you for some reason, but it's impossible for
me to know any reason.

Best regards
HD

Old March 5th 04, 08:19 PM
ChessliB

"Euc1id" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I know - but I can't do much about the exchange rate. What I can do
is to put in a little more value: If you are ordering the main database and
the "Fide top100players database" I can offer the Nalimov's 2-, 4- and
5-mans table databases on two DVD's for free - provided that you accept to
pay for the media (two DVD's ) and the extra postage. Of course, this offer
is
only a good agreement if you like to have both, the Nalimov's and the
databases on DVD. (The Nalimov's are available for free download).

ChessliB is an expensive hobby - the reason for asking money for some
of the services is that bandwidth cost money - bandwidth that you use.

Back to the database: owners have free access to update files, last
year ChessliB published 24 updates for owners of the main database.

To have an idea about the quality of the database, download the
free version and judge for your self.

-af-

Old March 6th 04, 08:19 AM
ChessliB

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.67...
"ChessliB" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:
Keep the 4 and 5! I find the 2-man much more interesting.
--
CeeBee

:-)

The 3-, 4- and 5.man bases; 290 files, approx. 7GB.

-af-

Old March 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Jay McKeen

You perform a needed, time-consuming service.
I've invested a ton of time editing my personal monster database and
concluded that I have the heart of a librarian and spend so much time
"cataloguing" I don't spend time "reading" and using the database.

So I hope that you, Neven, Chessbase, and any others investing the time to
prune, organize, and improve the quality of chess databases make a pile of
money. I don't mind paying.

Jay McKeen

"ChessliB" wrote in message
news[email protected]