Old February 2nd 04, 01:38 AM
J. Thomas Jeffrey

Default CM 9000 Board Size

Is there any way of making the board bigger in CM9000?

I have a 19-inch monitor running at 1152x864.

No matter what CM layout I load (1024x768, 1600x1200, or 800x600) the
playing board is a tiny 5.5x5.5 inches. The Fritz 8 playing board by
comparison is a nice 9 1/4 inches wide.

CM9000 is the first program of the series that has this tiny board.

Thank you.

J.T.J.
Old February 2nd 04, 01:58 AM
Gregory Topov

"J. Thomas Jeffrey" wrote in message
m...
Is there any way of making the board bigger in CM9000?
No matter what CM layout I load (1024x768, 1600x1200, or 800x600) the
playing board is a tiny 5.5x5.5 inches.

The scroll bar button on my mouse enables me to change the board size to any
size I want.
I'm sure that there must be a key combination which does the same, but I
don't know what it is.

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 2nd 04, 02:26 AM
John Cordes

Gregory Topov wrote:
"J. Thomas Jeffrey" wrote in message
m...
Is there any way of making the board bigger in CM9000?
No matter what CM layout I load (1024x768, 1600x1200, or 800x600) the
playing board is a tiny 5.5x5.5 inches.

The scroll bar button on my mouse enables me to change the board size to any
size I want.
I'm sure that there must be a key combination which does the same, but I
don't know what it is.

Is that just for a 3D board?

--
John Cordes
Old February 2nd 04, 04:18 AM
Mark

"J. Thomas Jeffrey" wrote in message
m...
Is there any way of making the board bigger in CM9000?

I have a 19-inch monitor running at 1152x864.

No matter what CM layout I load (1024x768, 1600x1200, or 800x600) the
playing board is a tiny 5.5x5.5 inches. The Fritz 8 playing board by
comparison is a nice 9 1/4 inches wide.

CM9000 is the first program of the series that has this tiny board.

Thank you.

J.T.J.

I was having the same problem. I went to "control panel", "display",
changed the resolution to make things bigger. Went back to CM - everything
was huge. Went back and changed the resolution to where it was, went back
to CM and a bigger (2D, btw) board was awaiting me. Not sure why it worked,
but it did. Might try it.

Mark

Old February 2nd 04, 01:33 PM
Gregory Topov

"John Cordes" wrote in message
Gregory Topov wrote:
"J. Thomas Jeffrey" wrote in message
m...
Is there any way of making the board bigger in CM9000?

The scroll bar button on my mouse enables me to change the board size to

any
size I want.
I'm sure that there must be a key combination which does the same, but I
don't know what it is.

Is that just for a 3D board?

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. I can't seem to change the size of
the 2D boards or fixed view boards at all!
Here's a handy trick with the 3D boards however: Pick a "Flat" piece set (I
use "Black and White figurine"), then pick your favorite board (I use
"Pine"). After the board has loaded, pless the DOWN arrow button, until the
board is flat. Now you have the equivalent of a 2D board with the added
bonus that you can resize it with the mouse scroll-bar button to any size
you want! Another bonus is that you have a lot more boards to choose from,
and yet still have a 2D effect, which is obviously a lot more sensible for
playing with than the 3D effect.

Old February 2nd 04, 06:17 PM
Dick Schneiders

Thanks, Gregory. I seem to make far fewer blunders with the 2D boards.

How in the world did you discover this?

Dick Schneiders

Old February 2nd 04, 10:19 PM
Gregory Topov

"Dick Schneiders" wrote in message
Thanks, Gregory. I seem to make far fewer blunders with the 2D boards.
How in the world did you discover this?

The best way: simply by accident.
When I first got ChessMaster, I was fiddling around with the 3D boards,
trying different options, and I stumbled across it by pressing some buttons
by mistake.
Actually the default board for the ClassRoom is set up like this as well (a
3D board with a 2D look). At one point I was trying to recreate that look
and realized that the "Newspaper" board was only available in 3D. So I
figured that there must be some way to make it "flat" into a 2D type look.
And sure enough, using the down arrow achieved just that. Now you know the
secret. 2D boards are certainly more sensible to use for playing. But now
you know the secret of how to use all the 3D board to create a 2D look!
Happy playing!
-Gregory

Old February 4th 04, 12:48 PM
Gregory Topov

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
.. .
Here's a handy trick with the 3D boards however:

I just noticed that the back of the user manual has several hotkeys that do
the same thing. Using a 3D board, try the F2-F9 keys and see what happens.
The F4 key will give a 3D Board top-down view.

Old February 5th 04, 03:56 AM
Mogath3

I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. I can't seem to change the size of
the 2D boards or fixed view boards at all!
Here's a handy trick with the 3D boards however: Pick a "Flat" piece set (I
use "Black and White figurine"), then pick your favorite board (I use
"Pine"). After the board has loaded, pless the DOWN arrow button, until the
board is flat. Now you have the equivalent of a 2D board with the added
bonus that you can resize it with the mouse scroll-bar button to any size
you want! Another bonus is that you have a lot more boards to choose from,
and yet still have a 2D effect, which is obviously a lot more sensible for
playing with than the 3D effect.

Only problem with this is that the pieces on the bottom of the screen are
upside down. Is there a remedy for this? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Jeff

Old February 5th 04, 05:01 AM
Gregory Topov

"Mogath3" wrote in message
Only problem with this is that the pieces on the bottom of the screen are
upside down. Is there a remedy for this? Thanks for any help.

Jeff, I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please expand on the problem
you're experiencing with the 3D boards? What exactly do you mean by "the
bottom of the screen" and by "upside down"?
Try pressing the F4 key - does that help?