Old March 6th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Rybka (beta version 2.3.1) suggestion

Since I cannot find an email address of the Programmer of Rybka 2.3.1
Please tell him to re-introduce the CPU usage setting in the engine.

I really miss the possibility to set CPU usage on e.g. 98% or less.
Now I can't do anything else on my computer in the same time !

This refers to the beta version 2.3.1
I will buy the new version if it has CPU usage back in the engine.

Thanks.

Old March 6th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Maybe you can use a command to limit CPU usage (just a workaround):
- on Linux "nice"
- on Windows use the task manager to define the priority of the Rybka
process

Old March 6th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"pascal" schreef in bericht
Maybe you can use a command to limit CPU usage (just a workaround):
- on Linux "nice"
- on Windows use the task manager to define the priority of the Rybka
process

Thanks for your anwer.

Yes, the workaround of using the task manager was already the
temporary way out for me. But I hope for a permanent solution.

Many people out there have multi-purpose PC's, and while the
chess engine is analyzing a position, want to do some other task.

Please, will someone pass this problem to Rybka programmer!

Old March 6th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

M.A.Rauder wrote:

Thanks for your anwer.

Yes, the workaround of using the task manager was already the
temporary way out for me. But I hope for a permanent solution.

Many people out there have multi-purpose PC's, and while the
chess engine is analyzing a position, want to do some other task.

Please, will someone pass this problem to Rybka programmer!

Its fairly common for the user to have to select the priority with the
commands on the operating system. I can think of very few applications
which have setting for this.

On a UNIX/Linux system it would be very easy to launch from a script and
let that set the priority - get the PID and use 'nice' or similar to set
it.

I know Windows is more basic and lacks many features found in better
operating systems, but I doubt it is that hard to do even on Windows.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old March 7th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:

Its fairly common for the user to have to select the priority with the
commands on the operating system. I can think of very few applications
which have setting for this.

For extra credit, can you think of any programs that are as hoggish by
design as chess programs? That are used on casual machines?

Cripes, do you think that maybe chess programs should go out of their
way, because of their design and usage and the kinds of machines they
are run on to be throttled, a little bit, like 98%?

You're probably right though, it is the user's fault.

Old March 7th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

A new version (2.3.2) is due in a few days / weeks ?
Supposedly it will correct "all the bugs".
Right now the best and strongest version is probably Rybka 2.2 n2

et...

Old March 7th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
On a UNIX/Linux system it would be very easy to launch from a script
and let that set the priority - get the PID and use 'nice' or
similar to set it.

On Linux, you don't need to do this. The priority of CPU-bound tasks
(such as a chess engine) will automatically drift downwards until
interactive processes have higher priority. The only reason you'd
need to reprioritize a CPU-bound task would be to either increase its
minimum priority or to alter the relative priorities of two CPU-bound
tasks.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Salted Radioactive Lotion (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a soothing hand lotion but it'll
Old March 10th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

06.03.2007 14:49, M.A.Rauder:
Since I cannot find an email address of the Programmer of Rybka 2.3.1

Rybkachess.com - there is a contact information provided.
rybkaforum.net - a forum run by the people behind Rybka. So there you
can put your request.

Greetings,
Ralf