Old March 7th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Scid 3.6.6 released (chess database)

Hi,

I released an updated version of Scid at
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid

The changes are :
- clocks added when playing a game against a weakened engine (tactical
games) : useful to teach an young player to play slowly
- added a button in analysis window to start / stop engine
- photos of players usually hide some comments in the game info window :
the photos are now clickable wich minimizes them (the workaround is not
perfect, but ... it is a workaround).
- minor bug corrections

Pascal Georges
Old March 7th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pascal wrote:
Hi,

I released an updated version of Scid at
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid

The changes are :
- clocks added when playing a game against a weakened engine (tactical
games) : useful to teach an young player to play slowly
- added a button in analysis window to start / stop engine
- photos of players usually hide some comments in the game info window :
the photos are now clickable wich minimizes them (the workaround is not
perfect, but ... it is a workaround).
- minor bug corrections

Pascal Georges

More plagiarized code.

In case anyone did not see it, I have posted a list of code of this
guy's Scid, which were copied from ChessDB

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

without acknowledgment.

See an archive at:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...b9e3c5e4e7266a

Copying I would not mind, but he said on the Scid mailing list

**** From Pascal "The Plagiarist" Georges******
So I will switch naming of my releases from scid-pg to scid as I have
the right to. As chessDB is a fork of Scid (2004), and until anybody
else is better placed than me to continue Scid, I request things to be
strictly separated : given Kirkby's attitude, I hope he'll be honest
enough to continue his fork in a strict separated way than mine : I deny
him the right to use my own code, as I'll never use his own code (I
never heard of a forking project whose that was in conflict with the
mainline take code from the original).

That is in direct contravention of the GPL.

Several of us feel he should not be using the name Scid - a view shared
by another poster on rec.games.chess.computer after he looked at the
code I posted, which showing blatant copying. (However, his use of the
name Scid is nothing to do with his copying of ChessDB code. I feel he
should not be doing that anyway, as he has no permission from Shane - or
at least he can't prove any).

This guy is the last thing the software world needs.

He gives the impression this is a continuation of Scid, and ChessDB is a
fork. In practice, his code, which he calls Scid, uses code from
ChessDB. So if ChessDB is a fork, so must this be.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:
Hitting reply will work for a few months only - later set it man****

Old March 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Hi Dave,

We are happy to hear about you again (yes, another round, and you said
you had enough !).

I hope you learned Tcl/Tk since Christmas, but given your questions on
newsgroups, it seems you still have a lot to learn, but keep it on, it's
worth the pain (and you even found manual pages in late january : you
are on the right path).

Did you remove your "(C) D Kirkby" on scid files, where you did not
change a single character ? You removed all occurences (more than 1600
!!) of "Scid" in source code replacing them to chessdb and putting your
name with (C) on them : this is not what we usually call 'coding', you
know. But if you feel better like that, and think that's a start for
something brilliant, go ahead ...

If you are upset or depressive or whatever, I can also name any future
Scid releases I make "KirkbyScid". Just ask, if you can feel better
(even if there is strictly nothing from you in Scid : how could have
taken code from a true beginner in Tcl/Tk, when I used it professionaly
for years ?? - but never mind).

I don't think many people care about you and your sterile rubbish, lies
and arguing : just play in your sandbox and prove you can really make
something sensible and useful for yourself and others. That is what
people expect to see on this newsgroup.

Old March 9th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Pascal "The Plagiarist" Georges wrote:

Did you remove your "(C) D Kirkby" on scid files, where you did not
change a single character ? You removed all occurences (more than 1600
!!) of "Scid" in source code replacing them to chessdb and putting your
name with (C) on them : this is not what we usually call 'coding', you
know. But if you feel better like that, and think that's a start for
something brilliant, go ahead ...

Pascal (and others), The reason I changed the all the occurances of Scid
to ChessDB I have stated before. It leaves nobody in any doubt that any
bugs in ChessDB

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/

are not Shane's responsibility. (Shane Hudson, for those that do not
know, is the principle author of Scid.)

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

In contrast, that was very far from clear with your Scid-pg releases,
which had this line for example:

"Shane is NOT reponsible for bugs in Scid"

That line is to say the least *very* confusing. It is sensible in
ChessDB, where I wrote it, but your copying of it, and then changing
ChessDB to Scid, made it very confusing. (Of course, I acknowledge the
changes I made - in contrast you deny copying ChessDB code, yet seem to
have the same spelling error I had. And plenty more identical code too)

I will point you to the post of Jeremy White, whose code you use in your
"Scid". (I don't reconise it as Scid myself, since Shane has no
connection with it. Scid stands for Shane's Chess Information Database)

http://www.mail-archive.com/scid-use.../msg00028.html

(Since www.mail-archive.com only keeps recent posts, I'll reproduce your
comment on the Scid mailing list and Jeremy's reply. I have used
PG to indicate what you said, and JW for the comment of Jeremy White.)

PG You will never find a greatest opponent as I am to forks.
PG ChessDb is a fork (consider the useless replacement of
PG 1600+ Scid occurences in
PG source code to chessDB, what was this for !?, copyrights
PG added on files
PG where not a single byte was changed !? ). I did not
PG behave like that in order to be able to quickly give
PG my changes back to Scid (and Shane Hudson). Scid-pg is
PG not a fork, I'll do my best for that.

JW I take exception to your interpretation of that change.
JW I believe Dr. Kirby has been nothing but gracious and
JW respectful of Shane's work.

JW Read this from the opening screen of ChessDB:

JW ChessDB is based on Scid - http://scid.sourceforge.net/
JW but has new features, enhancements and bug-fixes.
JW More than 90% of ChessDB's code comes from Scid.
JW The main author of Scid was Shane Hudson.
JW Shane is NOT responsible for any bugs in ChessDB

JW Note the *last* line. *That* is the kindest gift
JW we can give to Shane; acknowledge his work, but pin none
JW of our faults on him. Similarly, changing the notices from
JW scid to ChessDB is a courtesy not an insult.

JW Cheers,

JW Jeremy

So Jeremy thinks my change was a courtesy. I feel so too. Others on the
Scid mailing list have objected to your use of the name Scid (which you
may recall stands for Shane's Chess Information Database.)

If you are upset or depressive or whatever, I can also name any future
Scid releases I make "KirkbyScid". Just ask, if you can feel better
(even if there is strictly nothing from you in Scid : how could have
taken code from a true beginner in Tcl/Tk, when I used it professionaly
for years ?? - but never mind).

I'm new to Tcl I admit. But the fact remains you have taken Tcl and C++
code that was first in ChessDB, put it into Scid-pg, which you later
renamed to Scid. That is just indisputable. I have posted *proof* of
this before. It is not a lie as you put it. The only liar is you.

Another poster on this newsgroup (Thomas T. Veldhouse), who originally
defended you when I first accused you of using the code of others
without acknowledgment

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec... e3c5e4e7266a

them later changed his mind, after I posted proof of my points. He then
replied. "Well spoken! I agree with your analysis and share you opinion
100%."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec... e3c5e4e7266a

The best you managed was to tell him he should not comment on things he
knows nothing about. He clearly looked at my proof and accepted it. As
any sensible person will.

So stop lying.

-----------
Dr. David Kirkby
http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database

Old March 9th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

To understand who is Dave "The Useless" Kirkby
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/#fork_insane
Old March 15th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pascal wrote:
To understand who is Dave "The Useless" Kirkby
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/#fork_insane

Pascal,

I'm a keen chess player and an IT professional, so out of interest I
looked at what Dr Kirkby and you have written on this. I must say I
agree 100% with Dr Kirkby.

1) IMHO you should *not* be using the name Scid.

When Dr. Kirkby started working on changes to Scid he was right to
rename the application (I can't say I'm particularly keen on his
choice of ChessDB, but he was right to rename it.)

Many open-source developers would object to your use of the original
name Scid.

I gather you are a linux user, so assume you are aware of 'cdrecord'.
Look at how the cdrecord author objects to linux distros (Redhat etc)
modifying cdrecord and distributing the modified versions under the
same name.

2) You have copied chunks of ChessDB without acknowledging this fact.
The evidence can't be disputed. PERIOD.

3) You claim you have achieved more in 6 weeks in your modified Scid
than ChessDB in 6 months. Yet the first ever reference I can find to
ChessDB is in December 2006 - only 3 months ago. Can you show me an
older one? 3 months is not 6 months.

You also say you were working on Scid in 2003 which is 4 years ago!
Since when has 4 years been 6 weeks?

It seems to me you are not even a good liar. But a liar you definitely
are.

Mark

Old March 15th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pascal wrote:
To understand who is Dave "The Useless" Kirkby
http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/#fork_insane

Is there any chance you can stop behaving like a six-year-old?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Nuclear Apple (TM): it's like a tasty
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ fruit that's made of atoms!