Old March 7th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Which desktop chess computer ?

I am looking for a desktop chess computer.

My playing skills are very moderate but I am willing to learn.

A chess board needs to be big enough to get a comfortable overview for me.
Autosensor fields would be great but is not a breaking point for me.
Connectability to a Mac would be great. A reasonable price difference
is no big deal for me.

Four candidates I found interesting so far:

Novag Citrine
Excalibur Grandmaster
Both have autosensor

Novag Obsidian
Saitek Master
No autosensor

So what would you advise me to look for ? Any pitfalls, great or bad
experiences with any of these machines?

Thanks, Hans

Old March 7th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

So the Excalibur GM set can hook up to a computer ?

What does that do when you hook up a computer set to a desk top computer
?

I have webtv so it confuses me ..

Thank you for that info..

I have Ivan the conqueror two ..A Excalibur machine and i like it BUT on
the box it say's est I800 ELO and after playing it vs FRITZ 9 and losing
my friend started to dumb it down and at I700 ELO on his FRITZ 9 , Ivan
started to win a game or two off and lose too..Games can go either way
so that tells my IVAN is about I700 ELO...So the number on the box is
about I00 ELO off and that kind of bugs me but over all i have liked
it..

I have seen the GM set and it looks nice ..But your right do your home
work first ....

Post which one you get ..Thanks ..

Old March 7th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

By the way what does the autosensor do ?

Old March 8th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Id compare the NOVAG vs GM autosensor against each other keeping in
mind the ELO on the GM box mite be I00 ELO points less than what the box
say's....

I like my Ivan , i can take it anywhere ..The GM set board and
pieces are larger so it mite not be as easy to take it with you..

But if your going to set it beside your home computer and play on that
vs on line computers and humans , id get one of the two above..

I call those two companies and ask who made the chess programs for them
and ask their ELO's and just check both out ...

Let us know which one you get or are there a few others ? I am not
sure......BUT id get the strongest one because it bugs me that Ivan
loses to other computers ..ha ha ha.....

Old March 10th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Today I bought the Novag Citrine. Price was reduced by 50 Euro so I
paid E 225 in stead of E 275. Reason for the reduction was a tiny
production defect on the wood finish which is undetectable without a
microscope.

The machine looks and feels better than every other I have tested
including the Mephisto Senator. The board looks very natural and calm.
Warm wood in nice colours. Medium sized board. No distractive elements
in the design.

Although not as strong as the Mephisto Senator (which has the same
module as Mephisto Master or Saitek Master) it is twice as cheap as the
Senator but it looks twice as cute. It is stronger than the Excalibur
GM.

When I need pure computing strength I will use my computer. On the
other hand my playing strength is way less than my Citrine. So many
happy years of combat to go for me.

There is an RS 232 cable connector but that's only meant for flashing
the ROM. So the machine can not be used as a DGT board which I regret.

The LCD display can be detached and attached at any time even during play.

Of course I still need to get used to everything especially the menu.
The auto sensor is terrific.

I am happy with it so far.

Adios

Hans

Old March 12th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Glad you got one and it sounds like a good deal too and you did your
home work..

i think you will be happy with it ..

Any pics or i am sure they have a web site , i mite look it up later..

It would walk all over my Ivan but still it is fun to play computer vs
computer , when Fritz beats ivan i can see the weakness i the end game
but i am not good enough to exploit that weakness ..I have only won one
game at the strongest level and lost 400 + games over the years...But i
am still proud i beat it because i earned it..

If you ever feel like playing Ivan vs your computer feel free to let
me know...

Have fun with it and it will last years ......

After you play it a few times let us know how you like it .....

Old March 12th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Any pics or i am sure they have a web site , i mite look it up later..

https://www.schachversand.de/startneue.htm

Old March 14th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Thank you..

How do you like playing it ?