Old March 8th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Default How GetClub Chess game developed so Strong.

GetClub game speed and strength have kept improving because of good
players playing it and beating it. But many players are not playing it
thinking it to be as weak as it was 3 months back.

Try a game: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

GetClub Game was designed in May 2006

Jun 2006 its all illegal Moves were Removed.
July 2006 it was playing good enough to complete a game.
Aug 2006 Game Strength was increased
Sep 2006 Opening was added
Oct 2006 New rules were added
Nov 2006 It played taking long time 5-10 min/ move
Dec 2006 Time was reduced to maximum 1 min/ move
Jan 2007 Great Speed Jump done
Feb 2007 Game strength was increased

So one can see every month there was a bit improvement in the game. A
player who had played say in Nov 2006 has not seen the improvements
made later and he still believes the game is weak despite so many
improvements.

Still many improvements are needed but I am not getting much
suggestions out of the Box. Good players let me know if you can still
beat it's Beginner & Easy Levels.

Bye
Sanny

Old March 8th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics
Ron Ron is offline

I see another timeline:

Jun 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
July 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Aug 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Sep 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Oct 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Nov 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Dec 2006: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Jan 2007: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Feb 2007: Sanny lies about the strength and speed of his program.
Old March 8th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

Sanny wrote:
GetClub game speed and strength have kept improving because of good
players playing it and beating it. But many players are not playing it
thinking it to be as weak as it was 3 months back.

Try a game: http://www.GetClub.com/Chess.html

OK...here goes...

a) no move listing
b) 20-second delay, every so often, between when the user drops a piece
on a new square and when the piece actually is displayed on that square
c) program oversteps the time control on every move - according to it's
own clock
d) the clock is inaccurate
e) 20-second delay, every so often, between when the clock stops, and
when the board is updated
f) program drops a piece for nothing around move 15
g) I intentionally give back the piece and trade down to a R+2P ending,
allowing the program the distant passed pawn
h) program drops the other pawn (giving me two connected passed pawns
protected by - and protecting - my K)
i) programs distant passed pawn is never pushed
j) I queen
k) it's now mate in one, and the program reports that it has taken 1060
seconds searching for a way out. the program has 3 legal moves, and my
response to all of them is the same: Qh8++. The program claims to be
"Thinking on King (7)"

You are right - this version is much better than the last version.

--
Kenneth Sloan
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170
Old March 8th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:18:41 -0600, Kenneth Sloan
wrote:

You are right - this version is much better than the last version.

Maybe we start worrying about somebody planting GetClub on a MonRoi ?
Heh, heh, heh.
Old March 9th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Jun 2006 its all illegal Moves were Removed.

Imagine that, it stopped playing illegal moves.

July 2006 it was playing good enough to complete a game.

Imagine that, it finished a game.

Aug 2006 Game Strength was increased

Now that it can finish a game ... wow!

Sep 2006 Opening was added

Really getting up there, Sanny.

Oct 2006 New rules were added

New rules? As opposed to illegal moves?

Nov 2006 It played taking long time 5-10 min/ move

Now there's a real improvement.

Dec 2006 Time was reduced to maximum 1 min/ move

Except that it wasn't.

Jan 2007 Great Speed Jump done

Jumps are in checkers.

Feb 2007 Game strength was increased

No where else to go.

So one can see every month there was a bit improvement in the game. A

Every month there was more hype.

Still many improvements are needed

Your only really accurate statement.

Old March 9th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 9, 11:15 am, " wrote:

Jan 2007 Great Speed Jump done

Jumps are in checkers.

This comment reveals just how desperate a few of the
critics are to find fault where there is none. :D

Still many improvements are needed

Your only really accurate statement.

Try a game now and see if you think there has still
been no improvements. I recently ripped off two games,
and found the program a decent opponent relative to
a wide variety of players I have recently played at
another Web site called RedHotPawn.

IMO, the program used to be so weak that for about
a month, I thought I was Paul Morphy reincarnated!
Now things are a lot tougher. Sure, it took a long time,
but then, you should have expected as much since
Sanny's programming team were not experts in chess
programming, but HTML guys.

Recently, I have been "warned" that somebody is
fast approaching my stellar rating at GetClub, and
I had better get busy protecting it, etc. Then I read
a comment where Sanny described himself as hitting
the 1400+ level, which got me curious. So I logged
on at GetClub and lo and behold, not only is this
Jebediah critter nowhere near to breaking my record,
but Sanny is not even listed among the top players.

To sum up, the critics are out in droves, yet not one
of them seems able to "walk the walk" when it comes
to actually thrashing the supposedly pathetically weak
program the way I have. In my most recent game vs.
Beginner level, the program played at a decent speed
for all but a few moves. And in the other game, where
I faced off against the Easy level, it took somewhat
longer, but still nowhere near to the slothful ways of
the past. In fact, were I not rapidly running out of
battery power all the time, I would probably have gone
ahead and tested the next higher level as well.

I can tell from the strength of play that the displayed
number of plys is not just a bogus trick, and judging
from this, the program has made *vast* improvements.

-- help bot

Old March 11th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

To sum up, the critics are out in droves, yet not one
of them seems able to "walk the walk" when it comes
to actually thrashing the supposedly pathetically weak
program the way I have.

Of course you completely and I think deliberately miss the point,
which is simply that there are so many better programs and so many
better sites, GetClubbed remains a colossal waste of time. So what if
Sanny has his program playing at, say, the USCF 1600 level or
thereabouts? Why should anyone even bother?

Old March 11th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 10, 11:32 pm, "
wrote:
To sum up, the critics are out in droves, yet not one
of them seems able to "walk the walk" when it comes
to actually thrashing the supposedly pathetically weak
program the way I have.

Of course you completely and I think deliberately miss the point,
which is simply that there are so many better programs and so many
better sites, GetClubbed remains a colossal waste of time. So what if
Sanny has his program playing at, say, the USCF 1600 level or
thereabouts? Why should anyone even bother?

Good question. One reason would be that this may
be your last chance ever to play a chess program and
actually win. Another is that there can be no question
of the opponent cheating by referencing a (strong)
program, so what you see is what you get. Of course,
many if not most would prefer a human opponent, but
then you must accept the risk of losing to an android
computer-operator in disguise. The GetClub site is a
place where you can find a -- let's say -- 1600 level
opponent at any time, night or day. But there may
well be better sites with equal amenities which also
offer a far stronger computer opponent as an option.

All I am saying is that in view of all the commentary
here to the effect that this program can be beaten with
one's eyes closed, it is amusing that nobody -- not even
nearly-an-IMs or 2300+s -- has yet managed to approach
my lofty rating, despite my complete inactivity of late.
It seems to me that the program has in fact gotten a
lot tougher, and this, along with a shortage of "fresh
meat" to boost the program's rating back up where it
started, is what prevents anyone from overtaking me.
The fact is, I can't play much there at all, on account
of the killer battery drain to my notebook. So my still
being in first place is rather strange. It reminds me a
little of all the geniuses, super-geniuses, and almost-
geniuses who appear in every thread about IQ and
chess. Geniuses everywhere, but not an average
fellow in sight! The same with GetClub: critics galore,
but none that manage to show up on the ratings chart
radar screen. Of course, they will all claim it is the
fact that they don't *want* to play and crush Sanny's
monstrosity with eyes shut, and this may even be so.
But it leaves room for doubt.

-- help bot

Old March 11th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

11.03.2007 06:25, help bot:

All I am saying is that in view of all the commentary
here to the effect that this program can be beaten with
one's eyes closed, it is amusing that nobody -- not even
nearly-an-IMs or 2300+s -- has yet managed to approach
my lofty rating, despite my complete inactivity of late.

That's probably because nobody tried. I played a few games, just out of
curiosity. If I got problems, it was just, because I did it while
concentrated on other things, as the games take much too long, to play
just against this program, without doing other things in the meantime.
And especially regarding this endless duration of those games, and that
I manage to win games even after a rook down without compensation, I
simply regard it as a waste of time playing against it. Why should I
play against it? Proving that I am stronger than a program on a sub 1600
level? Others think the same, and that's the simple reason, why you are
the undisputed king of ChessClub - and not some strange reason still to
look for.

Greetings,
Ralf