Old February 2nd 04, 04:51 PM
Chuck in Minot

Default Move 27 a blunder??

Just wondering if move 27. Qd5-e5+ in the following game is a blunder?
Testing a beta for a group of friends working on their own program. Rebel
12 is closing in for the mate and Buster b1.03 (c)2004 MDU Math, plays this
move that gets a worthless check and looks to just throw away its queen.
With the inpending mate was this a move that I just don't understand or
can't see the logic in, or is it an outright program blunder? I don't want
to guess at my answer having been given the privilege of being a beta
tester. I would like to make sure that my answer is not going to make me
look like a fool for not seeing the real reason behind the move. I've
looked it over and over, and it looks like a blunder to me.

Thanks for any analysis

Here is the game to review.

Buster b1.03 Rebel 12 Dos
1. e2-e4 c7-c5
2. Nb1-c3 Nb8-c6
3. f2-f4 g7-g6
4. Ng1-f3 Bf8-g7
5. Bf1-c4 e7-e6
6. e4-e5 d7-d5
7. e5xd6ep Ng8-h6
8. Nc3-e4 Nh6-f5
9. d6-d7+ Bc8xd7
10. Ne4xc5 Qd8-a5
11. Nc5xb7 Qa5-b4
12. g2-g4 Qb4xc4
13. g4xf5 Qc4-b4
14. f5xe6 Bd7xe6
15. Nf3-g5 Qb4xb7
16. Ng5xe6 f7xe6
17. Qd1-f3 O-O
18. c2-c3 e6-e5
19. Qf3-d5+ Kg8-h8
20. f4xe5 Ra8-e8
21. d2-d4 Bg7xe5
22. Ke1-d1 Be5xd4
23. c3xd4 Qb7-a6
24. Bc1-d2 Rf8-f2
25. Kd1-c1 Qa6-d3 Mate in 5 Qd3 Rd1 Re1 Qg8 Kxg8 a4
26. Rh1-d1 Re8-e1 Mate in 4 Re1 Qg8+ Kxg8 h4 Qxd2

This is the move that I don't understand, and Buster just seems to utterly
throw away its queen for a worthless check not unless due to the inpending
mate there just wasn't any other move to make.

27. Qd5-e5+??? Nc6xe5 Mate in 3 Nxe5 Rxe1 Qxd2+ Kb1 Qxe1+

28. Rd1xe1 Qd3xd2+ Mate in 2 Qxd2+ Kb1 Qxe1+
29. Kc1-b1 Qd2xe1+ Rebel beats Buster

Old February 3rd 04, 12:39 PM
Claus-Jürgen Heigl

Chuck in Minot wrote:

Just wondering if move 27. Qd5-e5+ in the following game is a blunder?
26. Rh1-d1 Re8-e1 Mate in 4 Re1 Qg8+ Kxg8 h4 Qxd2

This is the move that I don't understand, and Buster just seems to utterly
throw away its queen for a worthless check not unless due to the inpending
mate there just wasn't any other move to make.

27. Qd5-e5+??? Nc6xe5 Mate in 3 Nxe5 Rxe1 Qxd2+ Kb1 Qxe1+

Well, there is no difference between Qe5+, Qg8+ or Qd8+. All three
sacrifice the queen to delay the mate one move. The only other move is
27. Qb3, which doesn't change a thing after 28...Qxd2+ 29. Kb1 Rxd1+
30. Qxd1 Qxd1 mate.

Whichever move delays the final defeat the longest gets the best score
and therefore is preferred. As White can defend for 3 moves at best,
all those queen moves are considered equal. Even if one of the moves
didn't lose the queen (they all do) it wouldn't make a difference. If
you are mated an extra queen doesn't matter. For example 27. Qg5 keeps
all the material but Black delivers the mate even faster with
27...Rxd1+ 28. Kxd1 Rf1 mate.

A human could consider the queen sacrifice as pointless since it
doesn't change the outcome. Most likely he would just give up. For the
computer there is a difference because it delays mate for a move.

Claus-Juergen