Old February 2nd 04, 04:59 PM
MightyKitten

Default REQ Allround Freeware Chess Program

Could you pleas help me with selecting a good chess program for my purposes.
I'm not very at home at playing chess, so I will have to put my wishes in
layman's phrases:

- I need to install it on multiple computers at different houses (I got
several requests for a chess program)

- The players will range from novice to peole who occationally play a local
tournament (but mostly people wh play a game of chess once in a while)

- I think graphics/design/looks will be far more important then artificial
intelligence strength (Elo levels)

- Playing over a (local) tcp/ip network would be fun.

- It should be freeware (You're Dutch or you're not!)

- I guess battlechess would do it if it was freeware...
Any suggestion would be welcome.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:54 PM
Euc1id

I suggest a google.com search for "free chess software", or similar
searchstrings...
--
Euc1id

Old February 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
MightyKitten

Thanks for the info,
I'll check it out

Mighty Kitten

"CeeBee" schreef in bericht
. 6.83...
"MightyKitten" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

Could you pleas help me with selecting a good chess program for my
purposes. I'm not very at home at playing chess, so I will have to put
my wishes in layman's phrases:

- I need to install it on multiple computers at different houses (I
got several requests for a chess program)

- The players will range from novice to peole who occationally play a
local tournament (but mostly people wh play a game of chess once in a
while)

- I think graphics/design/looks will be far more important then
artificial intelligence strength (Elo levels)

- Playing over a (local) tcp/ip network would be fun.

- It should be freeware (You're Dutch or you're not!)

- I guess battlechess would do it if it was freeware...
Any suggestion would be welcome.

http://www.playwitharena.com as a freeware interface and a wealth of
engines for your convenience. All free.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old February 2nd 04, 06:46 PM
MightyKitten

I already did, but to me it seems most chess software is created have an as
high Elo level as possible.

Though I can imagine this suits people who frequently roam this newsgroup,
it will scare the average once in a while uses, as the will almost have no
chance at beating the PC. For most people, a game is at its best if you can
just win or if you just loose. Human and computer opponent should roughly
equal each others strength.

Thoug I'm quite impressed with today's chess software's capabilities to out
calculate almost all human strategies, I would never touch such a program as
I am convinced it will Checkmate me at the first turn somehow...

"Euc1id" schreef in bericht
k.net...

Old February 2nd 04, 09:59 PM
CeeBee

"MightyKitten" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

I already did, but to me it seems most chess software is created have
an as high Elo level as possible.

Though I can imagine this suits people who frequently roam this
newsgroup, it will scare the average once in a while uses, as the will
almost have no chance at beating the PC. For most people, a game is
at its best if you can just win or if you just loose. Human and
computer opponent should roughly equal each others strength.

Thoug I'm quite impressed with today's chess software's capabilities
to out calculate almost all human strategies, I would never touch such
a program as I am convinced it will Checkmate me at the first turn
somehow...

Additional: Der Bringer is small, has a nice yet simple interface, and can
be dumbed down.

http://www.reubold.onlinehome.de/

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old February 3rd 04, 12:18 AM
Chuck in Minot

Have you tried these, and they are both free and
play very strong!

Rebel 12 (DOS) A very powerful DOS only chess
program packed full of all kinds of features and
options. This program will not run on XP.
Rated around 2625 depending on CPU.
http://members.home.nl/matador/chess810.htm

Jester, The worlds strongest Java based Chess Program.
Just go here and since it is JAVA, it will load right onto
your machine like a web page.
http://www.ludochess.com/jester_eng/jester_eng.php3

You can also download it as a stand alone here.
http://www.ludochess.com/dotcom/download.php3

Chuck

http://www.ludochess.com/dotcom/download.php3