Old February 3rd 04, 04:53 PM
Alexander Erlich

Default Program teaching Chess

Hi!

I've discovered Chess for myself, and now I try to lean to play it properly.
But honestly, I don't like those books with the instructions where to set
the figures. I prefer the computer to set them for me ;-) So is there
perhaps a program or at least a way where I can learn to play with my
computer? Fritz ist certainly a good way, and it has a great database (about
300.000 parties in my 5.32 version), but it's boring and difficult to watch
them without any comments or explainations.
So what can I do?

I look forward to your answers.

Regards
Alexander Erlich

Old February 3rd 04, 10:09 PM
Mike Leahy

"Alexander Erlich" wrote in message
Hi!

I've discovered Chess for myself, and now I try to lean to play it

properly.
But honestly, I don't like those books with the instructions where to set
the figures. I prefer the computer to set them for me ;-) So is there
perhaps a program or at least a way where I can learn to play with my
computer? Fritz ist certainly a good way, and it has a great database

(about
300.000 parties in my 5.32 version), but it's boring and difficult to

watch
them without any comments or explainations.
So what can I do?

I look forward to your answers.

Regards
Alexander Erlich

Hey Alexander,

If you're at the level of learning openings, endgames and tactics, you might
try downloading the free Bookup 2000 Lite. It comes with an ebook called
the "Demo Book" that has excerpts which teach a Black defense against 1.e4.
Great comments and explanations.

We give it away to publicize our ebooks at http://www.bookup.com/bod.htm

Mike Leahy
"The Database Man!"
www.bookup.com

Old February 3rd 04, 10:16 PM
John Merlino

"Alexander Erlich" wrote in message ...
Hi!

I've discovered Chess for myself, and now I try to lean to play it properly.
But honestly, I don't like those books with the instructions where to set
the figures. I prefer the computer to set them for me ;-) So is there
perhaps a program or at least a way where I can learn to play with my
computer? Fritz ist certainly a good way, and it has a great database (about
300.000 parties in my 5.32 version), but it's boring and difficult to watch
them without any comments or explainations.
So what can I do?

I look forward to your answers.

Regards
Alexander Erlich

Chessmaster 9000 is your answer. I doubt anybody who has it would disagree with me.

jm
Old February 4th 04, 12:36 AM
Gregory Topov

"John Merlino" wrote in message
om...
"Alexander Erlich" wrote in message

I've discovered Chess for myself, and now I try to lean to play it

properly.

Chessmaster 9000 is your answer. I doubt anybody who has it would disagree

with me.

As someone who recently purchased ChessMaster 9000, I wholeheartedly agree.
For someone who is already an intermediate player, they will get less
benefit out of it. Although some advanced players also use Chessmaster with
great profit, most seem to prefer the analytical and database features
offered by Fritz. For advanced players, Fritz is probably a better choice.
But if you're a relative beginner or intermediate player (like me) looking
to improve, the instructional and educational features of Chessmaster are
hard to beat. Currently it's listed at $29.99 at amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00006663Z
A couple of weeks ago it was $19.99, so the price may drop again. I
recently saw it for sale in a store for $19.99 Canadian. So if you look
around you're sure to find a good deal somewhere. Even at US$29.99 it's an
excellent deal. The audio annotation/commentary/ instruction is terrific,
and you're sure to learn a lot.

To get a taste of what's possible with educational chess software, you can
try downloading the demo of "Chess Mentor" he
http://www.chess.com/demo.html
However Chess Mentor is much more pricey than Chessmaster, and not as user
friendly. Chessmaster's audio tutorials and instructions are virtually
impossible to beat for value. In addition to the excellent audio tutorials,
you get to play against all kinds of human-like personalities with different
ratings, get Chessmaster to automatically analyze your games, do drills and
puzzles, a chess database of half a million games, and 825 annotated classic
games.
I still find it hard to believe that I got so many features and educational
material for so little money.

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 9th 04, 04:35 PM
bart

Bookup is the best i think, BUT its 3D board could use a face-lift ;=)

"Mike Leahy" schreef in bericht
news