Old February 4th 04, 05:01 AM
Ralph Jones

Default Linux Chess Software

I've recently started using Linux, and will be using it A LOT from now on.
So I'm looking for a few decent chess clients to try out. I've found a few
which allow for online play, but nothing on par with the Chessbase clients
I use with Windows.

Any recommendations?

Old February 4th 04, 06:50 AM
Noah Roberts

Ralph Jones wrote:
I've recently started using Linux, and will be using it A LOT from now on.
So I'm looking for a few decent chess clients to try out. I've found a few
which allow for online play, but nothing on par with the Chessbase clients
I use with Windows.

Any recommendations?

I don't know what chessbase is capable of so can't really advise a
replacement.

EBoard or Knights are good XBoard interfaces. These allow you to play
chess against any xboard engine like gnuchess, crafty, phalanx, etc...

SCID is a nice database program that can also connect to xboard engines
for analysis.

There is other stuff, but that is the limit of my experience.

--
"I can't help it, the Dominating Trolls made me."

Old February 4th 04, 09:45 AM
Benway

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:01:13 -0700, Ralph Jones
wrote:

I've recently started using Linux, and will be using it A LOT from now on.
So I'm looking for a few decent chess clients to try out. I've found a few
which allow for online play, but nothing on par with the Chessbase clients
I use with Windows.

Any recommendations?

SCID with Crafty is a good combination for database and analysis.

--
Benway
Remove the SPAM
Old February 4th 04, 04:17 PM
Peter Sch?fer

Ralph Jones wrote in message ...
I've recently started using Linux, and will be using it A LOT from now on.
So I'm looking for a few decent chess clients to try out. I've found a few
which allow for online play, but nothing on par with the Chessbase clients
I use with Windows.

Any recommendations?

jose-chess.sourceforge.net

can use plugin engines, has a database (not as powerful as SCID, though),
no online play
Old February 4th 04, 11:55 PM
Keith Boone

Ralph Jones wrote:
I've recently started using Linux, and will be using it A LOT from now on.
So I'm looking for a few decent chess clients to try out. I've found a few
which allow for online play, but nothing on par with the Chessbase clients
I use with Windows.

Any recommendations?

I like xboard for play on FICS and ICC, but you might like Jin. See:

http://www.jinchess.com/

There are Linux and Windows versions available. The advantage of Jin
over xboard and eboard is the seek graph which works the same as the
seek graph in Blitzin.