Old February 5th 04, 07:10 PM
Stefek Borkowski

Default How to get rid of duplicates in chessbase database?

Hi,
I use Fritz8 interface. I have just merged a few databases together and have
lots of duplicates. Impossible to dispose of them manually. Cannot find such
an option. Strange, there should be one...
Thanks for any help.
Regards from Poland,
Stefek

Old February 6th 04, 04:15 AM
Euc1id

If you don't have Chessbase 8 there are other programs that might be used. I
haven't researched whether they'll find game duplicates, but here's some
links:
http://scid.sourceforge.net/
http://www1.tip.nl/~t799997/chesspad.htm
http://jose-chess.sourceforge.net/
I've used Chesspad in the past to find errors, but don't know offhand if it
will find duplicates. For more possibilities, google with searchstrings such
as "chess database system"
--
Euc1id

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.84...
"Stefek Borkowski" wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

I use Fritz8 interface. I have just merged a few databases together
and have lots of duplicates. Impossible to dispose of them manually.
Cannot find such an option. Strange, there should be one...

No. Fritz is a playing program with some database functions. ChessBase 8
is a database program. With ChessBase 8 you can find and delete doubles,
not with Fritz.

--
CeeBee

"I am not a crook"

Old February 6th 04, 10:36 AM
Stefek Borkowski

CeeBee wrote:

No. Fritz is a playing program with some database functions.
ChessBase 8 is a database program. With ChessBase 8 you can find and
delete doubles, not with Fritz.

Thanks for the hint. I have checked it and yes, I can find duplicates with
no problem whatsoever. They are copied to so called clipboard database
but... how the heck do I actually remove this nicely selected double games
from the original database. There is an option "Find double games" but
cannot find one saying "Remove double games" Can you give me a hand,
please. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Stefek

Old February 9th 04, 01:44 PM
David Richerby

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Export the entire database to PGN and import it into SCID (will take
awhile even on a fast computer). Use SCID's maintenance abilities to
clean up dups, fix names and ELO ratings, etc. Then, export the games
back into PGN and reimport them into a new database in Fritz.

If you're going to export to PGN, you may as well just use the PGN
utilities at http://pgn.freeservers.com/ to manipulate the resulting
file.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Confusing Erotic Toy (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a fun child's toy but it's genuinely