Old February 6th 04, 05:30 PM
Bobo

Default play against computer online

hi.

anyone know where i can play against computer over internet? i want
practice but don't want to play human because i don't really want
rudeness or anything if win or lose, just play against machine. both
strong and weak computer welcomed.

Old February 6th 04, 07:53 PM
M Holz

Bobo wrote:

hi.

anyone know where i can play against computer over internet? i want
practice but don't want to play human because i don't really want
rudeness or anything if win or lose, just play against machine. both
strong and weak computer welcomed.

On FICS there are some chess-engines. But you can just download a chess
engine and play on your computer without the internet.
You can look here for engines:
http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/
ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/
Old February 6th 04, 08:03 PM
Gregory Topov

"Bobo" wrote in message
anyone know where i can play against computer over internet? i want
practice but don't want to play human because i don't really want
rudeness or anything if win or lose, just play against machine. both
strong and weak computer welcomed.

1. Download the free iNemesis interface he
http://www.ideabuilders.com/public/
2. Get a free account at FICS http://www.freechess.org
3. Set your formula to playing computers only, ie: "set formula computer"
4. Play. If you need, ask in the FICS help channel, ie: "tell 1 question
here"
Computers of all ratings are there for you to play against. Enjoy!

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 6th 04, 08:45 PM
Yves Surmont

http://www.lokasoft.nl/uk/tbweb.htm
the chess program is rather weak (i guess sth like 1500 elo), but maybe
that's what you're looking for
also on this site is a good tablebase server, which gives you perfect play
for all 5-men endings

--
http://users.pandora.be/yves.surmont/comp.htm
"Bobo" schreef in bericht

Old March 6th 04, 09:14 AM
matt -`;'-

"Bobo" wrote in message
hi.

anyone know where i can play against computer over internet? i want
practice but don't want to play human because i don't really want
rudeness or anything if win or lose, just play against machine. both
strong and weak computer welcomed.

You can play against a computer on FICS http://www.freechess.org/
I use ChessClient which is free and available from the FICS site.
It has a lot of nice features including one that allows you to see the
strength of the players requesting games. You can also see who is a
computer or not. It has chat capabilities and more.

If you want to play against someone who will not treat you badly, you can
play me. I promise to never treat you with disdain. I respect others
unconditionally. We could play on FICS if you want. I am not that strong,
but I think I could give you an interesting game. I have played at
different time levels and have found that I like the longer games. I can
play a faster game, but I really think that unless you are practicing a
certain type of opening these blitz games do you little good. A long game
gives you time to plan a strategy and work out some moves on the board
before you make them. With blitz games I always feel like you just move on
instinct or by reaction and this lessens the quality of your game and you
will not be able to get really creative and develop your skills. I can
promise you that I would never make a statement during the game, especially
since I am a bit of a klutz at using the communications part of ChessClient.
I have really wanted to be able to play someone who like myself wants to get
better and would like to talk about the moves afterwards. This is an open
offer and you can choose to play or not play whenever you want. I have a
varied schedule but would definitely like to play against someone who would
like a friendly game from time to time. I think a human player would
benefit you because they can analyze your games, if they are inclined to do
so. I really like to review games from other players - it helps me to
learn. I recommend you analyze your own games as well. And it is good to
read any Chess books that you can get on Tactics, Strategy and gameplay.

If you strictly want to play against a computer then I would recommend
getting Crafty 19.10SE and Winboard. You can play against different level
players with this particular version of Crafty. Both are free programs.
Crafty is the chess engine and Winboard is the Chess interface (Chessboard)
that you would use to play against Crafty. There are many other free chess
engines that you can play against as well. I won't repeat the links that
you can find in the post from M Holtz. Those are good links to a world of
free chess engines and more.

Let me know what you think. My name is Matt and you can reach me at

I can also be found occasionally on FICS under the name ChessKnave.

Old March 6th 04, 02:32 PM
Gregory Topov

"matt -`;'-" wrote in message
You can play against a computer on FICS http://www.freechess.org/
I use ChessClient which is free and available from the FICS site.
It has a lot of nice features including one that allows you to see the
strength of the players requesting games. You can also see who is a
computer or not. It has chat capabilities and more.

CClient has now been modified and improved and goes under the name iNemesis.
You can download it free he
www.ideabuilders.com/public/
BabasChess is another fantastic free graphical interface for FICS:
www.babaschess.net/

Old March 8th 04, 04:43 PM
Who cares anyway

"Bobo" wrote in message . ..
hi.

anyone know where i can play against computer over internet? i want
practice but don't want to play human because i don't really want
rudeness or anything if win or lose, just play against machine. both
strong and weak computer welcomed.

99% of humans are not rude - on ICC anyway. FICS tends to attract a
few more rude people, which is the reason I decided to leave and pay a
few $/year to ICC. I know one or two on ICC who are rude - morely77
for example has got a game he disconnected with me, has failed to
email me despite me saying I want to finish it, and has declined to
finish it when I found him online. He then logged out when I asked him
again. But he is the exception rather than the rule.

Personally I find playing computers a bit annoying - far more so than
the odd arrogent human. If you make a mistake (leave a knight
unprotected for example), with a computer it is all too easy to start
a new games, whereas with a human I will (within reason) try to play
out a game unless I am in a hopeless position. You know your opponent
might make a mistake, but computers don't tend to.

I sometimes play on my PocketPC on ICC. The dumb program I use can't
handle logins with username and password, so I have to play as guest.
But that is more fun than playing a computer. (I only wish Pocket
Grandmaster's author would add ICC support, as that is an excellent
program, but lacks any support for ICC).

Someone has said there is computers on FICS and I know there are loads
of the things on ICC. Slowflow is particulary stupid if you want that.
When I was a bit poorer, Slowflow had a queen and king against my
king. I was getting so fed up with it being complely incapable of
checkmating me that I felt like resigning to save me the hassle of the
playing a lost game against an opponent who could not win a simple
endgame.

If you really want to play a computer, why not download a program and
play it locally? If you are very strong and really want to play the
best programs around, then perhaps logging onto ICC and finding crafty
on a high end multi-processor machine would be useful, but for most of
us it's not necessary.

Comptuers might not be rude, but they are a lot less interesting to
play.