Old February 7th 04, 12:13 PM
Laurence

Default Person to Person chess over the Net

Hi,

Does anyone know of any FREE chess programs (or websites) allowing two
"fixed" (or known) people to play against each other over the Net?

I normally use queen.chessclub.com/sji all the time, but I now need
some way to play against a known friend...

Thanks.

L.
Old February 7th 04, 03:28 PM
Gregory Topov

"Laurence" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of any FREE chess programs (or websites) allowing two
"fixed" (or known) people to play against each other over the Net?

Try NetBlitz: http://www.rocler.qc.ca/netblitz/
It's totally free. It also allows you to play bughouse with up to three
friends if so desired.

ChessLink used to offer a server/client that you could use to play against
each other as well. However, when I last checked their site (
http://www.chesslink.net/ ) it only listed the client, and you need to log
in to their server to play.
A better alternative then is probably to download the free graphical
interface iNemesis ( www.ideabuilders.com/public/ ), get a free account at
FICS ( http://www.freechess.org ) and play each other there. You can play
others there for free as well, if so desired.

If anyone knows of any free software that allows direct peer-to-peer playing
like NetBlitz, without an inbetween chess server, I'd also like to hear
about it!

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 7th 04, 04:26 PM
Keith Boone

Laurence wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of any FREE chess programs (or websites) allowing two
"fixed" (or known) people to play against each other over the Net?

I normally use queen.chessclub.com/sji all the time, but I now need
some way to play against a known friend...

Thanks.

L.

Here's a program which will allow a direct peer-to-peer connection:

http://www.bulbous.freeserve.co.uk/kasia.html

Old February 7th 04, 05:59 PM
Ricky Robbins

On 7 Feb 2004 04:13:23 -0800, (Laurence)
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of any FREE chess programs (or websites) allowing two
"fixed" (or known) people to play against each other over the Net?

I normally use queen.chessclub.com/sji all the time, but I now need
some way to play against a known friend...

Thanks.

FICS works fine for doing so (
www.freechess.org). Just agree to meet
at a certain time, then issue a challenge to your friend with the
parameters you have in mind (time control, etc.).

Ricky
Old February 8th 04, 12:38 AM
Gregory Topov

"Laurence" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know of any FREE chess programs (or websites) allowing two
"fixed" (or known) people to play against each other over the Net?

I just found another program that seems to do the trick: IRC Chess.
http://www.chesscorner.com/play/ircchess/gamelist.htm
I haven't tried it personally, maybe someone who has experience with it can
comment.