Old February 8th 04, 10:50 AM
Leo de Jager

Default ChessBase7 crashes on XP

Hello all,
I recently installed XP and ever since that time CB7 crashes at startup and
offers to send an error report. I've tried to set compatibilty and it doesn't
make any difference. For a while it worked fine if I opened Chessbase by
clicking thb CBH file but that party is over now.
If I remove the CB.ini file CB asks for the language and comes up with the tips,
but as soon as I ok this screen CB crashes again.
CB7 is the only piece of software giving problems, Fritz 5.32 is running fine
and I downloaded CB-Light and it is ok as well.
CB7 is just fine for me and the CB's suggestion to upgrade to CB8 doesn't appeal
to me. I don't want to reward them with 90 euro for not correcting their
software.
Does anybody has a trick to get it back to work again?

Tia Leo

Old February 8th 04, 01:10 PM
Danny Hardesty

Try creating a new administrator account each time you want to use
chessbase, then open chessbase in that new account.

That works for me, but it is a pain in the ass to have to do that every
time you want to access Chessbase. The folks at Chessbase could make a patch
to fix the problem on XP but it appears they are no longer "supporting"
Chessbase7 software.

Hope that helps,

Danny Hardesty

Old February 8th 04, 01:36 PM
John Cordes

Leo de Jager wrote:
Hello all,
I recently installed XP and ever since that time CB7 crashes at startup and
offers to send an error report. I've tried to set compatibilty and it doesn't
make any difference. For a while it worked fine if I opened Chessbase by
clicking thb CBH file but that party is over now.
If I remove the CB.ini file CB asks for the language and comes up with the tips,
but as soon as I ok this screen CB crashes again.
CB7 is the only piece of software giving problems, Fritz 5.32 is running fine
and I downloaded CB-Light and it is ok as well.
CB7 is just fine for me and the CB's suggestion to upgrade to CB8 doesn't appeal
to me. I don't want to reward them with 90 euro for not correcting their
software.
Does anybody has a trick to get it back to work again?

Tia Leo

I don't have any problem running CB7 on XP Home, except for an error
message on exiting from the program, which I simply ignore.

--
John Cordes
Old February 9th 04, 05:30 AM
GEACPS

What are you doing running such ancient software? Even Chessbase 8 is almost
4 years old, and you're still playing around with 7. And Fritz 5.32? You
have Windows XP for an os, so you probably have a newer machine, so why the
old chess software?