Old March 20th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Scid 3.6.9 released (chess database)

Hi,

I released Scid 3.6.9 at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid

The changes are :

- Annotation :
- when annotating a game for opening blunders, the Annotator tag is
set to "opBlunder X (side)", where X is the move number
- The engine name used for annotation is appended to the Annotator
tag and also as a comment before inserting engine's variation
- Using third mouse button will automatically add variations without
asking (entering a complex game is faster)
- EPD support :
- added a "sc_epd load" callback in tkscid.cpp
- EPD window displays the list of positions which are directly
selectable with mouse
- EPD file can be automatically annotated (the EPD tags used are :
acd, acn, ce and pv)
- Book :
- Book window position and size is saved / restored
- Added book window for auto opening at startup (menu Options -
startup)
- several fixes in language encodings and translations, added a new
swedish translation file (thanks to Hans Eriksson)
- fixed a minor error in scid help file (thanks to Hans Eriksson)
- fixed a major (and old) bug in some translation files where procedure
names were also translated ... hence breaking some of Scid features

Pascal Georges

Old March 21st 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Not to my knowledge. The only collision may be related to file
associations, but this is harmless.
I used both on the same computer without any problem.

Pascal

Old March 21st 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"pascal" wrote in message
I used both on the same computer without any problem.

What can Scid do that Chessbase 9 can't?

JMR

Old March 22nd 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 22, 4:20 am, "Good Moves are worth BEANS!"
wrote:
"pascal" wrote in message

I used both on the same computer without any problem.

What can Scid do that Chessbase 9 can't?

JMR

SCID :

Tools Analysis Engine1 -Crafty (or another engine) -Trainer
again , Analysis Engine1 -Crafty (or another engine)

Then , you will get two windows-one for you vs Crafty-
another for Crafty's analysis in blue letters.

You can cheat while palying against a chess engine this way.
I think no other chess software has this cheating mode. lol...

For Database aspect?
Both are not easy to use.
Chessbase Assistant and jose are easy.

dajava,

Old March 22nd 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

oups.com...
wrote:
"pascal" wrote in message

I used both on the same computer without any problem.

What can Scid do that Chessbase 9 can't?

JMR

SCID :

Tools Analysis Engine1 -Crafty (or another engine) -Trainer
again , Analysis Engine1 -Crafty (or another engine)

Then , you will get two windows-one for you vs Crafty-
another for Crafty's analysis in blue letters.

You can cheat while palying against a chess engine this way.
I think no other chess software has this cheating mode. lol...

That's a pretty useless "feature" and people don't buy chessbase to play
against an engine. They buy it for it's database functionality and to
analyze games. Fritz/Shredder/etc are for playing against.

My question was if there was anything (significant) that SCID can do that
Chessbase 9 can't. Calling a program "easy to use" isn't answering my
question.

JMR

Old March 22nd 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Scid runs on Linux, Windows, MacOs, etc.
I don't think Chessbase can be used on Linux.

Old March 22nd 07, 07:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Good Moves are worth BEANS!"
wrote:

oups.com...

wrote:
"pascal" wrote in message

I used both on the same computer without any problem.

What can Scid do that Chessbase 9 can't?

JMR

SCID :

Tools Analysis Engine1 -Crafty (or another engine) -Trainer
again , Analysis Engine1 -Crafty (or another engine)

Then , you will get two windows-one for you vs Crafty-
another for Crafty's analysis in blue letters.

You can cheat while palying against a chess engine this way.
I think no other chess software has this cheating mode. lol...

That's a pretty useless "feature" and people don't buy chessbase to play
against an engine. They buy it for it's database functionality and to
analyze games. Fritz/Shredder/etc are for playing against.

My question was if there was anything (significant) that SCID can do that
Chessbase 9 can't.

I guess not except Analysis mode of SCID.
Chessbase is a serious commercial database
then, you harldy can expect more features from SCID.

But, I sill would like to say SCID's analysis mode is
better than any other Chess softwares.

Calling a program "easy to use" isn't answering my
question.

JMR- Hide quoted text -

dajava,

Old March 22nd 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"dajava" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Good Moves are worth BEANS!"
wrote:

oups.com...

wrote:
"pascal" wrote in message

[...]

I agree, and I didn't expect more features from SCID, but sometimes you are
surprised and an open source or shareware program is superior to it's
commercial competitor. I was curious if this might be the case with the
latest version of SCID. I suppose the best way is to try it out on my own
but I was hopeing that someone very knowledgeable of SCID could save me the
trouble.

But, I sill would like to say SCID's analysis mode is
better than any other Chess softwares.

Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Jason Repa

Old March 22nd 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Mar 22, 4:57 pm, "Good Moves are worth BEANS!"
wrote:
"dajava" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 22, 2:29 pm, "Good Moves are worth BEANS!"
wrote:

groups.com...

wrote:
"pascal" wrote in message

[...]

Jason Repa- Hide quoted text -

By the way,
http://scid.sourceforge.net/index.html
(original scid, I used it)

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/
(new SCID by Pascal)

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/Scid/
(a work by Dave)

Be careful when you refer to Scid.
Otherwise, readers are confused.

One more thing,
You can find some (or many) messages in this rec.games.chess.computer
arguing that SCID is faster than Chessbase for searhing games.

But, I did not test it myself seriously.
and, surpringly I got a vaguei impression
that SCID is slower than ChessBase.

I guess tcl is an interpretor.
It can be a reason for SCID's slowness.

I am writing very casually over a cup of coffee.
So, you don't have to read my message seriously.

dajava,