Old February 9th 04, 09:35 PM
Derek Wildstar

Default Fritz 8 GUI - Using stored params in eng. tournament

Hi gents, I've hit a wall...

In the creation of a Frtiz 8 tournament, engine invites only, you can set
each engines individual parameters and save them. So far, I have done this,
setting each engine's paramters individually.

Yet, when the tournament starts, I have no indication but plenty of
contra-indication, that those saved parameters are not being loaded, instead
the default parameters are loaded. For example, tablebase depth is reverting
to 2 or 3, when I forced 5 or 6.

Also, perhaps related, is that I can not choose individual books and have
each engine use them in said tournaments. When a unified book is used for
all engines, everything works well. But as soon as one engine is set to use
a different book, it does not use any book at all!

This is becoming troubling, and it's skewing results, since I desire
futility pruning off for the most part, in all engines, specificaly Fritz 8,
for it weakens play in long time controls. And forcing that off is saved in
the parameters, for when I load them they show up correctly, but don't play
in the tournament as such. Bother.

Any ideas?

Old February 9th 04, 10:11 PM
HD

Derek Wildstar skrev:
[...]

My best guess right now is that its related to some bug that appeared
during one of CB's ugrades, which makes an unselection of the book if
its selected before the parameters. Doing it in the reversed order might
work - select parameter before book. And if you're checked anything
inside your tournament setting during a tournament, make sure not to
press "ok" but "cancel" since it will all start from game 1
if you don't (or if you've made changes, it will too). Also I've
experienced, that sometimes not all parametres show up when I check. Too
make sure they right ones working, you could conduct some experiment,
one that wouldn't leave room for any doubt.
Hope this helps.

HD

Old February 10th 04, 02:40 AM
Derek Wildstar

"HD" wrote in message
k...

My best guess right now is that its related to some bug that appeared
during one of CB's ugrades, which makes an unselection of the book if
its selected before the parameters. Doing it in the reversed order might
work - select parameter before book. And if you're checked anything
inside your tournament setting during a tournament, make sure not to
press "ok" but "cancel" since it will all start from game 1
if you don't (or if you've made changes, it will too). Also I've
experienced, that sometimes not all parametres show up when I check. Too
make sure they right ones working, you could conduct some experiment,
one that wouldn't leave room for any doubt.
Hope this helps.

I've noticed that bug you've mentioned, and it was a problem until worked
around.

I've done a test to check if the param file is loaded and my results show
they are not:

1. Make any and all changes to engines that differ from default

2. Create Tournament conditions checking "parameters" box and starting
tournament.

3. Ricght click on engine window, select properties, bringing up the
parameter dialog.

In all instances, the parameters were default. If that is not the case, and
it's just "showing" the defaults, but not using them, that's just as bad.