Old February 9th 04, 11:11 PM
Hal Tynan

Default OT - deleting Registry files

Hi folks,

A spyware program (one of those freebies) identified a couple of spyware
files in my Registry (MS Me). How do I delete these files from the
Registry? I can't locate them from MS Explorer. The spyware program
would do it, but you have to pay for their full version first.
Or does anyone know of a free spyware program that will identify AND
delete any files they find?

Any help from the fine folks at rec.games.chess.computer is grealty
appreciated. Thanks, Hal
Old February 10th 04, 12:58 AM
Br5an

"Hal Tynan" wrote in message
Hi folks,

A spyware program (one of those freebies) identified a couple of spyware
files in my Registry (MS Me). How do I delete these files from the
Registry? I can't locate them from MS Explorer. The spyware program
would do it, but you have to pay for their full version first.
Or does anyone know of a free spyware program that will identify AND
delete any files they find?

Any help from the fine folks at rec.games.chess.computer is grealty
appreciated. Thanks, Hal

Try Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware. I think you'll find them with a
web search easily enough. Hope that helps, BK

Old February 10th 04, 01:09 AM
Steve Grant

"Hal Tynan" wrote in message
Hi folks,

A spyware program (one of those freebies) identified a couple of spyware
files in my Registry (MS Me). How do I delete these files from the
Registry? I can't locate them from MS Explorer. The spyware program
would do it, but you have to pay for their full version first.
Or does anyone know of a free spyware program that will identify AND
delete any files they find?

Any help from the fine folks at rec.games.chess.computer is grealty
appreciated. Thanks, Hal

Your terminology is a little garbled. The registry doesn't contain "files";
it contains *entries*. You can delete (or add, or modify) them with
REGEDIT.EXE, which is part of Windows.

WARNING! This is NOT for the faint of heart!! Mess up your registry and
you will be very, very sorry.

Old February 10th 04, 05:35 PM
Chuck in Minot

There are some really nasy spy programs like Coolwebsearch that digs itself
into your registry, and you'll need a special freeware program that can dig
it out BUT before you go and do that, you need to start educating yourself
on these nasty things. So start here and start learning what they are and
what they do.
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Here is the best site on the web for more info, and where to get all the
hand utilities to fix the problems these bugs cause.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/

Here is the newsgroup you NEED to visit and post your questions in, and lots
of good folks there will point you in the right direction. Don't go editing
your registry and so forth till you figure out what bug you got and the
right way to deal with it. Here is the newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser

Good luck

Old February 15th 04, 01:42 AM
Hal Tynan

Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated.
Will check it out.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:18:43 -0000, in rec.games.chess.computer you
wrote:
A simple reply - Dont- leave it alone.

Thanks... but what would you suggest I do about these spyware files?
I dont' want them on my system. The spyware program I used calls the
danger from them "severe". Certainly go my attention. :|

Thanks again, Hal
Old February 15th 04, 02:33 PM
David Richerby

Hal Tynan wrote:
Somebody wrote:
A simple reply - Dont- leave it alone.

Thanks... but what would you suggest I do about these spyware files?
I dont' want them on my system. The spyware program I used calls the
danger from them "severe". Certainly go my attention. :|

You should certainly remove any spyware from your system if possible, to
prevent the invasion of privacy and to guard against the possibility that
the spyware might be instructed to do something much more malevolent.
One might feel, though, that the spyware detection program has a vested
interest in making you think that spyware is extremely dangerous so that
you pay for the removal program.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Technicolor Hat (TM): it's like a hat
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ but it's in realistic colour!

Old Bookup Files?? Gollum rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 2 June 7th 04 01:57 PM
Import multiple txt files for Chess Tiger? Elijah rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 1 January 19th 04 06:37 AM
web site with openings zip files pete johnson rec.games.chess.analysis (Chess Analysis) 2 November 3rd 03 04:05 AM
what does sanity check error on tablebase files mean? Jan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 0 October 8th 03 10:50 PM
mega 2003 chessbase: help with krpkq.nbw.emd extension files!!!!! JAVIER GONZALEZ rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 4 September 26th 03 01:26 PM