Old February 10th 04, 01:53 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

Default Chess on a PDA or similar sized device

Hi,
I recently bought a portable chess computer (Kasparov xxx) which I
was not too impressed with. For a start it seemed to takes ages to
make simple moves. It only had a 10 MHz clock, which seemed a bit odd,
given the processing requirements of chess engines. Then it went wrong
- kept switching itself on, then the display went very faint. Finally
I got my money back.

Hence I'm once again looking for some chess software, but I think I'll
go for something that does not have pieces. Something the size of a
PDA might suite me better. I know there are plenty of chess computers
around, but how do these compare with say a PDA with fritz on it ?

How useable are these chess programs on PDA's ? What are the
limitations ? I basically want something that I can play a few games
on, but more to practice tactics against whilst on a train to/from
work.

Any suggestions as to which software to use ? I use crafty on my UNIX
box and I think there's a version for a portable, but I'm not sure on
what OS's it runs.

Since I can't see myself running UNIX on a PDA (I'd not be surprised
if Linux or NetBSD would run) then I guess I'm stuck with using a
commerical operating system. What is the best of these for portable
devices ??

I really have no need to have a word processor, diary, spreadsheet or
anything else like that on a PDA, so really I don't care too much for
these things.

Not sure if I should buy a chess computer, or a PDA and Fritz, or a
PDA and crafty .... or whatever else.

Yours, very confused.
Old February 10th 04, 04:23 AM
Noah Roberts

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

Since I can't see myself running UNIX on a PDA (I'd not be surprised
if Linux or NetBSD would run) then I guess I'm stuck with using a
commerical operating system. What is the best of these for portable
devices ??

Actually you would be surprised just how well linux runs on these
things. There are several options available that come with Linux stock,
including the Sharp Zaurus, which I own. You can use knights on this
PDA with Phalanx installed. I had to buy mine because I couldn't get it
working by myself and there was someone selling a packaged setup for $10
so I did it.

Crafty should work, and if you want you can install a terminal and play
that way; or you can be better at getting it to work than me and use
knights.

I really have no need to have a word processor, diary, spreadsheet or
anything else like that on a PDA, so really I don't care too much for
these things.

Well, you usually get these anyway. However, with the Zaurus you can
replace the stock OS with something more hacker-friendly and install
whatever you want on it and not install what you don't want.

Not sure if I should buy a chess computer, or a PDA and Fritz, or a
PDA and crafty .... or whatever else.

Can't advise. One thing to think about is that the PDA might serve
other uses as well as chess. On the other hand, I don't use mine much.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 10th 04, 04:12 PM
Mr. Plow

I have an HP iPaq 2215 with Windows Mobile 2003, PocketFritz 2.0, and Alain
Zanchetta's CE Board. I absolutely love it. I use it all the time.

If I have to take a plane trip, I don't have to lug my laptop around with
me, but can whip out the PDA and play against a strong engine, or play over
saved PGN games. Right now I am working through some of Spassky's games. I
also have all my tournament games saved as .pgn and I go through them from
time to time wondering whatever possessed me to make such boneheaded moves.

I also use it in conjunction with books. If I know I'm going to be on the
road for a few days, I'll load up 20 or 30 games from, say, My Great
Predecessors Vol. 1, and then I can work through the book while I'm on the
road and not have to tote a board and pieces around with me.

It has also made the holidays fun again since I can take it with me when we
go visit the in-laws. Basically, I take it with me whenever I go somewhere
where's the slightest chance I'll be bored out of my mind.

PocketFritz 2 is a great improvement over the first version since it now
handles annotations. However, I still prefer the interface of CE Board.
PocketFritz crams everything off to one side, while CE Board has a larger
annotation window at the bottom.

The only thing PocketFritz lacks is an interface to either ICC or FICS.

The whole setup is a little expensive, but I think you can get a PDA with
WindowsMobile 2003 for less than $200.

Old February 11th 04, 12:56 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

"Mr. Plow" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for that - I read your post *after* I'd ordered an HP iPAQ 2210

It runs at 400 MHz and has 64 MB RAM. I think its similar to the one
you have, but my one does not have the wireless.

By the sound of it, the decision I made was not a bad one. The only
thing of note is that Chessbase say the 206 MHz ARM processors work
not much slower than the 400 MHz X-Scale ones, whereas the former is
cheaper. I don't know if that's due to the CPU, or perhaps better
compiler optimisation. Anyway, I ordered the 400 MHz CPU.

Have you (or anyone else) tried 'Pocket Grandmaster' ?

http://www.pocketgrandmaster.com/english/

A couple of web-sites mention that is better than Fritz. It's also
cheaper, and one can download it, rather than waiting for a CD to be
delivered. I should get the PDA by Thursday, but so far I've not
ordered any software.

It seems crafty is also available. I use that on UNIX, but the xboard
interface is not great.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this. I think it is a better
solution than a dedicated chess machine, as at least you can update
software easily, try other software etc. And as you say, look over
your own games you played elsewhere, or those of masters.

Shame I don't think 'scid'

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

runs on a PDA. I quite like that program. It is a bit non-intuative,
but once you get used to it, the program is quite nice.

Thanks for your comments. You have made me a bit happier now, as it
looks like the hardware I've chosen will be suitable, and all I need
do now is decide on some software.
Old February 11th 04, 05:39 AM
Noah Roberts

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

It seems crafty is also available. I use that on UNIX, but the xboard
interface is not great.

But it won't run my chinese chess engine and interface...:P

I assume you know there are several xboard interfaces besides xboard
that are much nicer...

BTW, if you get sick of windows CE I believe the HP is one that you can
replace the OS on and run Linux. Just a thought...

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 11th 04, 02:18 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Noah Roberts wrote in message ...
Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

It seems crafty is also available. I use that on UNIX, but the xboard
interface is not great.

I assume you know there are several xboard interfaces besides xboard
that are much nicer...

No I was not. Are any open source for UNIX ? Do any run on the iPAQ PDA ?

BTW, if you get sick of windows CE I believe the HP is one that you can
replace the OS on and run Linux. Just a thought...

Yes, I started to read about that. I believe Compaq (HP) are spending $$$ on this.
Old February 12th 04, 06:16 AM
Noah Roberts

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
Noah Roberts wrote in message ...

I assume you know there are several xboard interfaces besides xboard
that are much nicer...

No I was not. Are any open source for UNIX ?

Well one is SCID but you know about it.
Eboard
Knights
Basically go to http://freshmeat.net and search for "xboard" and you
will get quite a bit. Including stuff you are not interested like my Qipan.

Actually "chess interface" seems to be better magic.

Do any run on the iPAQ PDA ?

Knights runs on the Zaurus, uses the QT toolkit on desktop and QTE on
PDA and works with Qtopia. These things are pretty standard on a Linux
PDA at this time so I would guess that it is possible. But like I said,
I was not able to do it myself so paid for the precompiled package. You
might find a binary exists for the iPAQ.

I doubt SCID would work.

BTW...I just remembered that there is an Opie that works with iPAQ. In
my search for Zaurus feeds I often ran into iPAQ feeds. There must be
some OpenZaurus for the iPAQ.

in foreign policy matters with war on my mind." - Bush

Old February 14th 04, 11:35 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I was not aware of them. I tried one called 'eboard', but I
could not get it to compile properly on my Sun Ultra 80, either with
g++ or Sun's compiler. I'll try one of the others.