Old February 10th 04, 09:29 PM
Mynystry

Default Battlechess sounds

Hi guys, lately I got one of my old favorite games: "Battlechess"

but when i try to play the sound doesn't work on my win xp platform

it displays this message:

"Digitized sounds are not available in Enhanced Mode due to the nature
of preemptive multitasking. Use standard mode [win /s] to allow for
digitized sounds"

does someone know what does this mean and how can i solve this
problem???? :?

thanks a lot!!!
Old February 10th 04, 10:37 PM
David Richerby

Mynystry wrote:
Hi guys, lately I got one of my old favorite games: "Battlechess"
but when i try to play the sound doesn't work on my win xp platform
it displays this message:

"Digitized sounds are not available in Enhanced Mode due to the nature
of preemptive multitasking. Use standard mode [win /s] to allow for
digitized sounds"

does someone know what does this mean and how can i solve this
problem???? :?

Um... MacOS X, Linux, BSDs, Solaris and HP Unix all use pre-emptive
multitasking and cope quite happily with digitized sounds: the error
message is a complete non-sequitur. I'm afraid I can't offer any
advice on how to get round it, though.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Sadistic Postman (TM): it's like a man
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ who delivers the mail but it wants to
Old February 11th 04, 02:42 PM
Mynystry

Um... MacOS X, Linux, BSDs, Solaris and HP Unix all use pre-emptive
multitasking and cope quite happily with digitized sounds: the error
message is a complete non-sequitur. I'm afraid I can't offer any
advice on how to get round it, though.

Dave.

yeah i even don't know what do they mean with this "standard mode" for
windows, i don't know if win xp has this feature....

thanks anyway for trying David
Old February 11th 04, 03:03 PM
Scott Roper

"Mynystry" wrote in message
om...
Hi guys, lately I got one of my old favorite games: "Battlechess"

but when i try to play the sound doesn't work on my win xp platform

it displays this message:

"Digitized sounds are not available in Enhanced Mode due to the nature
of preemptive multitasking. Use standard mode [win /s] to allow for
digitized sounds"

does someone know what does this mean and how can i solve this
problem???? :?

thanks a lot!!!

You might want to check out VDMSound. I don't have the direct link to the
site, but you should be able to find it from: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/.
I haven't used it myself, but my friend successfully used it to get sound
working in the original Monkey Island under XP.

-Scott Roper

Old February 12th 04, 07:56 PM
Scott Roper

"Scott Roper" wrote in message
"Mynystry" wrote in message
om...
Hi guys, lately I got one of my old favorite games: "Battlechess"

but when i try to play the sound doesn't work on my win xp platform

it displays this message:

"Digitized sounds are not available in Enhanced Mode due to the nature
of preemptive multitasking. Use standard mode [win /s] to allow for
digitized sounds"

does someone know what does this mean and how can i solve this
problem???? :?

thanks a lot!!!

You might want to check out VDMSound. I don't have the direct link to the
site, but you should be able to find it from:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/.
I haven't used it myself, but my friend successfully used it to get sound
working in the original Monkey Island under XP.

-Scott Roper

Oh yeah, Battlechess only used PC sounds, didn't it? I think VDMSound is
only for games that support AdLib or the old Sound Blasters.

-Scott Roper