Old February 11th 04, 09:28 AM
Wayne Martin

Default Strongest chess playing program as of this date

Can anyone tell me the absolute strongest sound playing chess program
right now?

Also, what's the strongest gambit/sacrificing playing chess program?

Thanks!

Old February 11th 04, 10:45 AM
Mikko Nummelin

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Wayne Martin wrote:

Can anyone tell me the absolute strongest sound playing chess program
right now?

Also, what's the strongest gambit/sacrificing playing chess program?

Preference to gambit playing depends on opening book, preferences to
positional sacrifices depend on evaluation function and there especially
on how to value material against positional gains like R on open file,
strong center, passed pawns etc. A good chess program should be able to
play well in both styles, i.e. should have a sound evaluation function. I
recommend Crafty because of it's free availability and open source code
combined to the fact that it recently won some important computer chess
event.

Mikko Nummelin
Old February 11th 04, 08:25 PM
Wayne Martin

What is the strongest commercial software available?

Old February 11th 04, 08:59 PM
Blackbeard's Ghost

Shredder 8:

I reckon that as of today playing on an 8 way opteron 2.2 ghz system it is
the strongest chess playing entity on this planet!

Old February 11th 04, 11:19 PM
Mikko Nummelin

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

Mikko Nummelin wrote:

I recommend Crafty because of it's free availability and open source
code combined to the fact that it recently won some important computer
chess event.

Which events? This sounds interesting.

http://www.vrichey.de/cct6/cct6.html

Mikko Nummelin

Old February 12th 04, 03:23 AM
Douglas L Stewart

Most computer tournaments the top two are Fritz 8 and Shredder 8. Lately it
seems like Shredder 8 always comes out on top. I think Shredder 8 is
intended to be good at gambit/sacrificing play.

Old February 12th 04, 11:31 AM
Dr. David Kirkby

Mikko Nummelin wrote:

I recommend Crafty because of it's free availability and open source
code combined to the fact that it recently won some important computer
chess event.

Which events? This sounds interesting.

http://www.vrichey.de/cct6/cct6.html

Mikko Nummelin

I like crafty too - mainly since it runs under UNIX. It's not that
fast (compared to a modern PC) running on my Quad 450 MHz processor
Sun, but it will beat me any day.

I just bought 'Grandmaster' for my PDA, but that was pretty cheap and
reviews says it's good. I'd like to try Fritz too - shame one can't
get a demo.

A different, but related question should really be "What is the
strongest chess program running an Pentium IV 2.2 GHz (or some other
specified hardware)" It is clearly a bit unfair if one program runs on
quad processor Opteron and another on a single processor Celeron, as
the table above shows.

Whilst as a scientist I find things such as parallel programming
interesting technically (I've done a bit myself), most people are
going to running on less exotic hardware.

I know from emails to Robert Hyatt, that crafty has been run on a
64-CPU Itanium, but that was not as good as the quad processor
Opteron. I don't know if the Opteron is capable of being used in a
64-way system, but *most* people are not going to buy such hardware.
Judging by the price of a single processor Itanium, I guess a 64-way
Itanium would cost in excess of $100,000.

Looking at the results given in the above link, the hardware differs
quite a bit between machines.

Anyway, congratulations to Robert.

Dr. David Kirkby

david dot kirkby (at) onetel dot net
Old February 12th 04, 10:01 PM
Tuyen Do

The newest Crafty has no chance against Shredder 7/8, Hiarcs 8/9 or Fritz
7/8.
It has won the tournament because it runs on a computer what is 4 times
faster than Hiarcs's one.

T.D.

Old February 13th 04, 12:50 AM
Derek Wildstar

"Blackbeard's Ghost" wrote in message

Shredder 8:

I reckon that as of today playing on an 8 way opteron 2.2 ghz system it is
the strongest chess playing entity on this planet!

Prove it! I concurr, based on hundreds of games I've hosted, Shredder 8
bests Fritz 8 at desktop speeds.