Old February 11th 04, 05:58 PM
Gregory Topov

Default Free Chess Software for Serious Players

Looking for free chess database program, which you can also use to analyze
games? Here is an excellent article defending the merits of SCID along with
an engine like Crafty.
"Free Chess Software for Serious Players" by Tom Rowan
http://www.tomrowan.com/chess/articl..._software.html

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 11th 04, 08:32 PM
Wayne Martin

It may be overkill but I want access to tablebases and games from
commercial software programs.

Also I would like to know what is the strongest commercial computer
playing chess program right now.

Old February 11th 04, 10:51 PM
Simon Waters

Wayne Martin wrote:
It may be overkill but I want access to tablebases and games from
commercial software programs.

SCID and Crafty both support tablebases.

If you really want to pay Shane accepts donations I believe.

Games are a movable feast, but there are plenty of websites providing
quality archives of recent games - but for my level of chess there is no
reason to keep current. If I could but remember all of Staunton's Chess
Players Handbook I'd be far stronger.

Also I would like to know what is the strongest commercial computer
playing chess program right now.

Shredder or Deep Fritz presumably, but there are plenty of contenders.

Although I have to ask what sort of score you get against Crafty - as
the number of people to whom the strength difference between say Crafty
and Shredder matters is pretty small.

Old February 21st 04, 06:47 PM
Gregory Topov

I was asking of iNemesis

Good helps for it are here

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chessaddict/toc.html

This sentence on that page had me rolling with laughter, I just had to share
it:
"Please advise any errors, omissions, smelling mistakes, ETC. "