Old March 27th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Are those PGN files copyrighted ?

Hi,

I would like to bundle the following problems in a chess application
(Scid), but I wonder if I have the right to do it. Some are in books,
less than 70 years old, so the author should retain a copyright (even if
dead) I think (I am not an expert in that field). But on the other hand,
some of them are available for download on many chess sites ...
Here is the list :

"1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate" by Fred Reinfeld
"1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations" by Fred Reinfeld
"Win at Chess" by Fred Reinfeld
"Encyclopedia of Chess Middlegames" by M.Rosenboom
"Good Move Guide" by Bent Larsen
"Test Your Positional Play" by IM R.Bellin and NM P.Ponzetto
"Find The Best Move" by Unknown

Pascal
Old March 27th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

pascal wrote:

dead) I think (I am not an expert in that field). But on the other hand,
some of them are available for download on many chess sites ... Here is
the list...

Complicated because copyright is different in different countries. In
general the pure PGN is not copyrightable because it is just a
description of a fact (the moves of a games).

But these collections could be recognized as a "database" and a database
is a matter of copyright. At least that could happen in Germany and you
(if you were a German) could be in trouble.

I'm also not a lawyer, but I wouldn't do it. Everyone can get that
collections easily and your traffic would decrease.

Volker
Old March 27th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Volker Pittlik wrote:
pascal wrote:
dead) I think (I am not an expert in that field). But on the other
hand, some of them are available for download on many chess sites
... Here is the list...

Complicated because copyright is different in different countries.
In general the pure PGN is not copyrightable because it is just a
description of a fact (the moves of a games).

Note that any analysis is copyrightable, as are any composed
positions.

But these collections could be recognized as a "database" and a
database is a matter of copyright. At least that could happen in
Germany and you (if you were a German) could be in trouble.

This is also an issue. My understanding is that copyright law is
fairly consistent across the EU.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Impossible Radio (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ radio but it can't exist!