Old April 6th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
. . is offline

Default fritz 9 rated game

Is it at all possible to set up the engine (I tested at fritz elo 1620) so
it should play more evenly?
When set at 1620, it plays many moves at level 2000 and eventually to reach
the average 1620 fritz 9 makes some stupid move losing its pown in a very
visible way.

Old April 6th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

In article , . wrote:
Is it at all possible to set up the engine (I tested at fritz elo
1620) so it should play more evenly?

When set at 1620, it plays many moves at level 2000 and eventually
to reach the average 1620 fritz 9 makes some stupid move losing its
pown in a very visible way.

I didn't have that problem with Fritz 8 (or perhaps I'm too weak to
notice it). Were you using handicap mode?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Frozen Beefy Bulb (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ light bulb that's made from a cow but
Old April 6th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
. . is offline

I never used handicap mode. I used Friend mode a few times and now I play
only rated games. Fritz shows my elo now is about 1700.

Old April 6th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

.. wrote:
I never used handicap mode. I used Friend mode a few times and now I
play only rated games. Fritz shows my elo now is about 1700.

That doesn't sound right. In Fritz 8, at least, `rated games' means
that Fritz plays at full strength and the rating just measures your
performance. But you were talking about getting Fritz to play at
lower levels. Is this something that has changed between versions 8
and 9 or are you mistaken about which mode you're in?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Swiss Impossible Toy (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a fun child's toy but it can't exist
Old April 6th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

.. wrote:
Is it at all possible to set up the engine (I tested at fritz elo 1620)
so it should play more evenly?
When set at 1620, it plays many moves at level 2000 and eventually to
reach the average 1620 fritz 9 makes some stupid move losing its pown in
a very visible way.

Playing "poorly" is very very difficult to do "well". There has been
some speculation how to do this, and there was likely to be work done on
this soon. But, I suspect that there has been massive work to catch up
with Rybka by all of the leading engine teams recently, so that "poor"
play is currently taking a back seat.

Old April 6th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"David Richerby" wrote in message
. wrote:
I never used handicap mode. I used Friend mode a few times and now I
play only rated games. Fritz shows my elo now is about 1700.

That doesn't sound right. In Fritz 8, at least, `rated games' means
that Fritz plays at full strength and the rating just measures your
performance.

You can set the ELO strength down to 1600 in Fritz 8 and play a
rated game.

J.Lohner

Old April 6th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Playing "poorly" is very very difficult to do "well". There has been some
speculation how to do this, and there was likely to be work done on this
soon. But, I suspect that there has been massive work to catch up with
Rybka by all of the leading engine teams recently, so that "poor" play is
currently taking a back seat.

They should just borrow sannys code

Old April 9th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Inconnux wrote:
You can set the ELO strength down to 1600 in Fritz 8 and play a
rated game.

How?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Indelible Lotion (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ soothing hand lotion but it can't
Old April 9th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Inconnux wrote:
You can set the ELO strength down to 1600 in Fritz 8 and play a
rated game.

File - New - Rated Game

Playing strength - uncheck Unleashed box
then you can set playing strength to a min of 1590

J.Lohner

Old April 9th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Inconnux wrote:
"David Richerby" wrote:
Inconnux wrote:
You can set the ELO strength down to 1600 in Fritz 8 and play a
rated game.

How?

File - New - Rated Game

Um. I seem to have missed that by selecting `Blitz game' when I
thought I was selecting `Rated game'. My mind boggles.

Thanks.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Frozen Composer (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ pupil of Beethoven but it's frozen in