Old April 9th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer

Default "Seirawan Chess"

In "Seirawan Chess", invented by GM Yasser Seirawan, the rules are the
same as in orthodox chess, except that two pieces, the Elephant (N+R)
and the Hawk (N+B), are placed in the reserve. Whenever a piece leaves
its initial square, one of the extra pieces can immediately be
introduced to the vacant square. So this is a double move, comparable
to castling. Should a player refrain from inserting his extra pieces
at these occasions, then he has forfeited his chance of introducing
them. When castling, one of the extra pieces can be placed on either
of the squares left vacant, namely the corner square, or the e1/e8
square. As the board is smaller than in Capablanca's Chess, the
situation is easier to control, and there are less pawn weaknesses.
The knight retains its strength on this standard board.

However, I am sceptical of this variant because the bishops will tend
to get exchanged too easily. As the bishop (especially when
fianchettoed) is the positional piece par excellence, I think this
game will be lacking in many positional qualities, especially since
the Elephant and Hawk are such tactical pieces. Something that will
help to remedy the problem is to restrict the entry squares of the
Hawk and Elephant. My suggestion is that the Hawk should not be able
to enter on the bishop files, and the Elephant should not be able to
enter on the knight files. In other words, the external pieces should only
be able to enter when king, rook, or queen moves.

A Zillions program and more information is he
http://hem.passagen.se/melki9/seirawanchess.htm

Mats Winther