Old April 10th 07, 05:28 PM
Junior Member

Default How can I disable move branches in Chessmaster 7000?

I use Chessmaster 5000 / Chessmaster 7000 to play over games from books (and save them in my computer).

When I retract a move and try a new one, a move branch is created. This isn't always useful and I would like to disable this option. (I remember disabling this was possible in Chessmaster 4000, which I no longer have.)

There must be a way to do this, but I havent found it in the online help, perhaps because I dont know exactly what it is called.

I hope somebody can help.

schachspieler
Old April 10th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

--
schachspieler

Sorry, but there is no option to disable the creation of variations in
any version of Chessmaster that I know of.

jm

Old April 12th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:
schachspieler wrote:
I use Chessmaster 5000 / Chessmaster 7000 to play over games from
books (and save them in my computer).

When I retract a move and try a new one, a move branch is
created. This isn't always useful and I would like to disable this
option. (I remember disabling this was possible in Chessmaster
4000, which I no longer have.)

Sorry, but there is no option to disable the creation of variations
in any version of Chessmaster that I know of.

Fritz has two ways of retracting a move: one is, effectively, an
`undo' and the next move made will replace the move in the game; the
other is just `go back a move', and, if you try to make a new move,
you'll be asked if that should be a variation, a new main line, or a
replacement for the main line. Does Chessmaster have anything like
that?

Dave.

--
David Richerby Enormous Radioactive Gerbil (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a children's pet but it'll make
Old April 12th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Apr 12, 6:10 am, David Richerby

Sorry, but there is no option to disable the creation of variations
in any version of Chessmaster that I know of.

Fritz has two ways of retracting a move: one is, effectively, an
`undo' and the next move made will replace the move in the game; the
other is just `go back a move', and, if you try to make a new move,
you'll be asked if that should be a variation, a new main line, or a
replacement for the main line. Does Chessmaster have anything like
that?

Negative. In the earlier versions (before CM6000, I think), a new move
would always overwrite the old move. After that, a new move will
always create a variation.

jm

Old April 14th 07, 12:07 AM
Junior Member

Dave wrote:
Quote:
Fritz has two ways of retracting a move: one is, effectively, an
`undo' and the next move made will replace the move in the game; the
other is just `go back a move', and, if you try to make a new move,
you'll be asked if that should be a variation, a new main line, or a
replacement for the main line.

--
David Richerby Enormous Radioactive Gerbil (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a children's pet but it'll make
you glow in the dark and it's huge![/quote]

I think I know what Dave is referring to. I've seen this kind of behaviour in Shredder (9). A step in the right direction as far as my needs are concerned, but still not good enough. With Shredder, the 'undo' referred to above is called 'Retract', I think.

What I want Chessmaster to do is not at all unusual. I just would like it to behave the way all programs behaved in Human vs Human mode before I ran into Chessmaster 4000. As I said in my earlier post, Chessmaster 4000 allowed the variation creation to be disabled. You just ticked an option somewhere in the dropdown menus.

I am still using Kasparov's Gambit to play over games from books. But... 1) it runs on DOS, and 2) the format it saves the games in is not universal. (And something goes wrong when you record game fragments starting from a set up position when the player to move first is Black. A bug, I suppose.)

If Chessmaster cant behave the way I need, then can someone suggest a program that does and which saves games in a universally accepted format?

schachspieler