Old April 11th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Copyright on Namilov tablebases

Does anyone know the situation with regard to copyright on tablebases -
I am interested in distributing some in chessdb

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/
(chess database)

But this might be an issue since the rest of the software is GPL'ed.

--
Dave (from the UK)

It is always of the form:

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/ - a Free open-source Chess Database
Old April 11th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Dave (from the UK) wrote:
Does anyone know the situation with regard to copyright on tablebases -
I am interested in distributing some in chessdb

Since the databases are 'complete' (in some sense of the word), it seems
fairly likely that they are impossible to protect by ordinary copyright,
though there may by some specialized forms of protection that
may be used (such as catalogue copyright) nationally.

It isn't immediately relevant to you, but they have been and are widely
disseminated already. Some can be found on the Crafty FTP site, for instance.

(The software is a different matter -- I'm only talking about the output
from it.)

If you want to know for sure, why not get in touch with the originator?

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath