Old April 11th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
DC DC is offline

Default ProDeo time settings in Arena

Hi all. I am setting up ProDeo 1.4 in Arena 199b4. I have set up a
few other freeware engines in an attempt to have a small engine tourney.
ProDeo works fine when I choose a tournament time limit like 40 moves in 10
minutes BUT if I choose a time limit of 10 seconds per move then it deos
not work correctly. Where all of the other engines make a move at the 10
second mark (when not in book), ProDeo make a move near the 20 second mark
and sometimes takes even longer. I have tried running the engine as both
UCI and Winboard and Winboard give you the numbers I listed above. As a
UCI engine, ProDeo takes minutes at the 10 second per move timelimit. Can
anyone give me some suggestions as to how to better configure this engie so
that it obeys the time limit?

Thanks,
Dave
Old April 11th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 11 Apr 2007 04:00:19 GMT, DC wrote:

Hi all. I am setting up ProDeo 1.4 in Arena 199b4. I have set up a
few other freeware engines in an attempt to have a small engine tourney.
ProDeo works fine when I choose a tournament time limit like 40 moves in 10
minutes BUT if I choose a time limit of 10 seconds per move then it deos
not work correctly. Where all of the other engines make a move at the 10
second mark (when not in book), ProDeo make a move near the 20 second mark
and sometimes takes even longer. I have tried running the engine as both
UCI and Winboard and Winboard give you the numbers I listed above. As a
UCI engine, ProDeo takes minutes at the 10 second per move timelimit. Can
anyone give me some suggestions as to how to better configure this engie so
that it obeys the time limit?

Thanks,
Dave

I tried using a fixed time control for Pro Deo 1.4 here, and it did
the same thing. Fortunately, there is a workaround for this problem.
Try the following:

1. Download InBetween 1.4 from http://home.online.no/~malin/sjakk/
and unzip it into your Pro Deo folder.

2. Open the file InBetween.ini in a text editor, and modify it so
that it looks like the following. Change the CommandLine parameter so
that it points to the path of prodeo.exe on your hard drive. You can
also change the w1 parameter to whatever hash size you desire, as
specified in the Pro Deo FAQ (http://members.home.nl/matador/faq.htm).
You can also change the Rebel.eng parameter to be whatever Pro Deo
personality file you desire.

[InBetween]
CommandLine := C:\Games\prodeo14\ProDeo14\prodeo.exe w1 Rebel.eng

[Client2Server]
st := setlevel 2

3. In Arena, create a new Winboard engine, with the Command Line
pointing to the path of InBetween.exe.

Hopefully, this helps.

Tony
Old April 12th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer
DC DC is offline

Tony M wrote in
:

http://home.online.no/~malin/sjakk/