Old April 12th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default Chess engines?

Hello all,

I have a purchased copy of Fritz 8, and it came with 5 different
engines. Lately, I have been doing engine vs. engine tournys, but
would like to include more (different) engines.

Is there any way to purchase just the *.eng files, without buying the
whole program(s)?

TIA!

-George
Old April 12th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"George" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have a purchased copy of Fritz 8, and it came with 5 different
engines. Lately, I have been doing engine vs. engine tournys, but
would like to include more (different) engines.

Is there any way to purchase just the *.eng files, without buying the
whole program(s)?

TIA!

-George

www.chessbase.com has many engines for download and its free, but comercial
engines,..... I dont know, I think you have to pay.

Old April 12th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

I was better but..... wrote:
Fritz 8? I have some 8-track cassettes you might be interested in.

It's not that old. I think a nice dbx cassette mix-tape would be nice.

8-track, sheesh.
Old April 13th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

George wrote:
Is there any way to purchase just the *.eng files, without buying the
whole program(s)?

Almost certainly not. Most of the work is in developing the engine
and the opening book so you'd only save a small amount of money by
just buying the engine. And that would probably be swallowed up by
the extra costs incurred by the producer.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Fluorescent Laser (TM): it's like an
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ intense beam of light but it'll hurt

Old April 13th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:50:27 GMT, "I was better but....."
wrote:

Fritz 8? I have some 8-track cassettes you might be interested in.

Pass, my Fritz 8 is newer than the car I drive, and it has a Bose 6 CD
in dash player with 6+1 speakers.

Try to keep up.

-George
Old April 13th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On 13 Apr 2007 11:27:23 +0100 (BST), David Richerby
wrote:

Almost certainly not. Most of the work is in developing the engine
and the opening book so you'd only save a small amount of money by
just buying the engine. And that would probably be swallowed up by
the extra costs incurred by the producer.

Dave.

Gotcha, thanks Dave.

-George
Old April 13th 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:23:04 +0200, "Bark!" wrote:

www.chessbase.com has many engines for download and its free,

I took a look there, but couldn't find any...can you give me a better
link please?

but comercial
engines,..... I dont know, I think you have to pay.

Yup...that's what it looks like...thanks for the reply Bark.

-George
Old April 13th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

On Apr 13, 12:58 pm, George wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:23:04 +0200, "Bark!" wrote:
www.chessbase.comhas many engines for download and its free,

I took a look there, but couldn't find any...can you give me a better
link please?

http://www.chessbase.com/download/index.asp

Select "Engines" or "UCI-Engines" from the dropdown list and press
"select program"

They don't make it very obvious.

There are a few other interesting engines around on an experimental
basis. Check for previous threads.

but comercial
engines,..... I dont know, I think you have to pay.

Yup...that's what it looks like...thanks for the reply Bark.

I reckon Shredder 10 is well worthwhile buying as a very different
playing style to Fritz.

I dislike HIARCS and Junior for tacky copy protection that requires
you to carry the original CD around.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old April 13th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

The copy protection on the ChessBase dvds is the same for all engines -
when I upgraded from Junior10 to 10.1 it asked for the dvd to check I
was a genuine owner, but other than that I've never been asked to insert
the Hiarcs, Junior, Fritz or Shredder originals after original
installation. I've very occasionally heard others say 'have to put my
Fritz/Shredder/Hiarcs/Junior dvd in once a month' but it's never
happened to me?!

Cheers - Eric

In article .com,
Martin Brown writes
[...]

Eric Hallsworth, Countrywide Computers, Victoria House, 1 High Street,
Wilburton, Cambs CB6 3RB. Tel: 01353 740323
Website for Chess & Bridge Computers & Softwa
http://www.countrywidecomputers.co.uk