Old April 14th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Default I wish people would post more eng vs eng games on here

Fritz I0 vs Shredder I0 vs Hercules I0 ,
Rybka vs all three of them...

Id like to see those 4 in a round robin tourny ..

Time control of lets say 60 min games ...Then id do 90 min time
controls . Then 30 min time controls .....Id do that just to see the
outcome of all those games and get a real test at which program is the
best over all at each time control..

If i had them i would do that ...Id play them in IO games each so
they can be white and black for 5 games each ......

who would be the most dom eng ?

My friends Fritz 9 played Rybka in I7 Blitz games and Fritz went one and
sixteen ..
Rybka clearly was the best at 5 min games.

But then he played it at 25 min game and they drew and a 90 min game and
Fritz won..
But he needs to play those two time controls about I0 more times to see
which is the best..
i would.....

Old April 14th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"SAT W-7" wrote in message
[...]

Dont play them on the same computer. One of them will hog most of the
resources.
Memory and cpu time. This is a common mistake when comparing engines.

Regards

Old April 14th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

You must check out this site..

http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/Replay/replay.htm

This contains many games, some commented some not. Between many many
different engines at many many different time controls.
Old April 14th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:

Dont play them on the same computer. One of them will hog most of the
resources. Memory and cpu time. This is a common mistake when comparing
engines.

The above used to be true, but in a world of multicore processors
and Virtual machines such as VMWare, it no longer applies.

Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old April 15th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

"Guy Macon" http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote in message

Terry wrote:

Dont play them on the same computer. One of them will hog most of the
resources. Memory and cpu time. This is a common mistake when comparing
engines.

The above used to be true, but in a world of multicore processors
and Virtual machines such as VMWare, it no longer applies.

Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Are these generally available on the ordimary PC's in peoples homes ?

I suspect not

Regards

Old April 15th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:

Dont play them on the same computer. One of them will hog most of the
resources. Memory and cpu time. This is a common mistake when comparing
engines.

The above used to be true, but in a world of multicore processors
and Virtual machines such as VMWare, it no longer applies.

Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Are these generally available on the ordimary PC's in peoples homes ?

I suspect not

VMWare gives the virtualization software away, and a Dell will
sell you a dual core PC for less than $700.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old April 15th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:

Dont play them on the same computer. One of them will hog most of the
resources. Memory and cpu time. This is a common mistake when comparing
engines.

The above used to be true, but in a world of multicore processors
and Virtual machines such as VMWare, it no longer applies.

Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Are these generally available on the ordimary PC's in peoples homes ?

I suspect not

VMWare gives the virtualization software away, and a Dell will
sell you a dual core PC for less than $700.

That doesnt answer the question :-)

Regards

Old April 15th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:

Dont play them on the same computer. One of them will hog most of the
resources. Memory and cpu time. This is a common mistake when comparing
engines.

The above used to be true, but in a world of multicore processors
and Virtual machines such as VMWare, it no longer applies.

Are these generally available on the ordimary PC's in peoples homes ?

I suspect not

VMWare gives the virtualization software away, and a Dell will
sell you a dual core PC for less than $700.

That doesnt answer the question :-)

Yes it does. Cheap PCs equal "generally available in
peoples homes" PCs. If someone doesn't have a dual
core PC it's because their older PC does a good enough
job, not because they can't afford a new dual core.

Just saw the latest Dell ad in my local paper.
$499 for a dual-core PC, including flatscreen monitor.
And of course no-name white box PCs are even cheaper.

I could turn the question around and point it at you;
you advocate running the two chess engines on seperate
computers. Are pairs of identical computers generally
available in peoples homes?

Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old April 15th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:

That doesnt answer the question :-)

It is probably more likely that a modern user that is doing engine
matches is more likely to have a dual-core machine at home, than two
machines to run auto-232 on.

That does answer the question,
Old April 16th 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer

Terry wrote:

[...]

All this just shows that eng v eng results done at home are unreliable
and my original warning is still valid.

Regards