Old February 13th 04, 12:51 AM
MC

Default Fritz8,Hiarcs8,Shredder7.04 Q's

I have Fritz8, Hiarcs8 and Shredder 7.04 installed on my laptop. I mostly
play against these programs in sparring mode (currently sparring modes
"Harder" and "Very Hard"). For some reason, whenever one of these programs
is playing White, it takes about 3 minutes for to select a move, and it
almost always is 1.Nf3. How can I tweak the opening book so that it plays
more "classical" games (1.e4, 1.d4).

I also have Fritz8 installed on another desktop box which I use to analyze
my games. I always use the reference-database under "Full Analysis". I
think it's great to store my games with references to master level games.
Then one day I added games from The Week in Chess to the Fritz database, and
the reference-database feature stopped working. It no longer adds
comentaries referencing other games from the database. I restore the
original Fritz8 database from my laptop but it still doesn't work.

Anyone that knows how to fix this please help.

Thanks!
MC

Old February 13th 04, 05:59 AM
Derek Wildstar

"MC" wrote in message

Anyone that knows how to fix this please help.

Thanks!

Purchase the programs in question, install them correctly. I suspect you did
neither.

Old February 13th 04, 03:56 PM
bknight

Derek wrote:
Purchase the programs in question, install them correctly. I suspect you did
neither.

This is "MC", posting from my Google account.

Why do you suspect I did neither? I am a PAID owner of all of the
programs mentioned (I bought them from ChessCafe). And I installed
them all according to instructions. All of the opening books are
under \My Documents\ChessBase\Books and the reference databases are
under \My Documents\ChessBase\Bases.

Note that I mentioned that the problem with the opening books is on my
laptop where I have all of those programs (Fritz8, Hiarcs8, and
Shredder7.04) coexisting under the same Chessbase install root. The
problem with the reference database feature is on my desktop, which
only has Fritz8. And these are not new installs; I've had these
programs installed for almost a year now.

If you know the answer and care to comment, please by all means do so.
I come to the newsgroups for help, and if I can help someone I try.
Now, it's no secret that newsgroups are littered with smart-assess, so
maybe I just ran into one.

Sincerely,
MC
Old February 13th 04, 03:59 PM
bknight

How can I tweak the opening book so that it plays more "classical"
games (1.e4, 1.d4).

I found a couple of very useful T-Notes on ChessbaseUSA. I still need
to find a way to fix the reference-database feature.

MC

Old February 13th 04, 05:54 PM
Derek Wildstar

"bknight" wrote in message
om...

Why do you suspect I did neither? I am a PAID owner of all of the
programs mentioned (I bought them from ChessCafe). And I installed
them all according to instructions. All of the opening books are
under \My Documents\ChessBase\Books and the reference databases are
under \My Documents\ChessBase\Bases.

I am in error then. Since the opening books are not typically distributed
with the unofficial versions, when someone complains about not having an
opening book, and does not state that they had it working at one
point....it's a reasonable inference.

Recall, in your original post, you claim to not know what's happening...not
that the book was working and then isn't...big difference. But no matter. I
will help you try and diagnose the problem.

Note that I mentioned that the problem with the opening books is on my
laptop where I have all of those programs (Fritz8, Hiarcs8, and
Shredder7.04) coexisting under the same Chessbase install root. The
problem with the reference database feature is on my desktop, which
only has Fritz8. And these are not new installs; I've had these
programs installed for almost a year now.

Let's work with the laptop, under the Fritz8 interface. What happens when
you start the program, select the Openings Book tab, and select the Load
Book button? Do you get a dialog window pointing to the *.ctg files in your
active book directory? If you search for *.ctg files, what do you find? Can
you point to the Fritz8.ctg file and have it load?

What happens when you do this same exercise on your desktop? Once you have
found and sucessfully loaded the books, the 1.Nf3 problem will go away.

Again, I will not continue to contradict your claim of legitimate use, and
do not let my hasty assessment prevent us from working together to fix your
problem.

Old February 13th 04, 06:27 PM
Mike Ogush

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 00:51:52 GMT, "MC"
wrote:

SNIP ....

I also have Fritz8 installed on another desktop box which I use to analyze
my games. I always use the reference-database under "Full Analysis". I
think it's great to store my games with references to master level games.
Then one day I added games from The Week in Chess to the Fritz database, and
the reference-database feature stopped working. It no longer adds
comentaries referencing other games from the database. I restore the
original Fritz8 database from my laptop but it still doesn't work.

Anyone that knows how to fix this please help.

Thanks!
MC

In Fritz 7, I did two things in the full analysis dialog box to turn
on the inclusion of game commentary:
1) clicked on the Button for "Reference-DB" and pointed to the
reference database I wanted.
2) Put a check next to the "Opening reference" check box.

Once I did that for one game the settings stay the same for subsequent
analyses.

Mike Ogush

Old February 13th 04, 10:21 PM
MC

I apologize for my somewhat strong remark... most of the time it is very
hard to know the type of person you are dealing with at the other end of the
wire.

Again, I can assure you that I am 100% legit regarding ownership of these
programs. I bought Fritz8 first and then I started wondering if there were
programs out there that were more "positionally" solid. I asked around and
among the responses I got Hiarcs8 and Shredder 7 were mentioned (later I
upgraded to 7.04 through a patch) as better engines for positional and
endgame play, respectively. Not knowing better I went out and bought both
in spite of already owning a very strong Chessbase engine (Fritz8) (I also
own Chessmaster 9K but I got that one because the interface is great and my
kids truly love that program. However, in terms of analysis output I
believe Fritz has no equal.) In sparring mode ("Harder" and "Very Hard") I
still get trashed most of the time, but I manage to win a few games here and
there. I don't have the red light flashing to help me when the engines
blunder; I try to practice under as real conditions as possible. I also
reproduce the moves on an actual standard competition chess board and keep
record of the moves. So now, having three very strong engines to play
against, I alternate my training games between the three. But I had been
playing my games as Black against CM9K because Fritz/Hiarcs/Shredder
"insists" on playing 1.Nf3 as the first move.

Let's work with the laptop, under the Fritz8 interface. What happens when
you start the program

The splash screen that comes up is blue and reads "Play Hiarcs". I suspect
this is because Hiarcs is the last one I installed. Sometimes I have to
click on that link many times for the program to launch.

, select the Openings Book tab, and select the Load
Book button? Do you get a dialog window pointing to the *.ctg files in

your
active book directory? If you search for *.ctg files, what do you find?

Can
you point to the Fritz8.ctg file and have it load?

Ok, right now I have the Fritz8.ctg book loaded. If I right-click I get a
menu; selecting Close Book File closes the book file. Then I see a button
labeled "Load book". Clicking on that button takes me to the "C:\Documents
and Settings\mcruz\My Documents\ChessBase\Books" directory. In there I see
the following books listed: Fritz8.ctg, Hiarcs8.ctg and Shredder7.ctg. I
normally select the book that matches the engine I intend to play. Let's
say I'm playing against Fritz8, so I select the Fritz8.ctg book file. Then
I click on the "Open" button, and I see the label "Fritz8.ctg" under the
tree icon as well as all first moves starting with 1.d4, 1.c4, 1.e4, 1.Nf3,
etc.

What happens when you do this same exercise on your desktop? Once you have
found and sucessfully loaded the books, the 1.Nf3 problem will go away.

I pressed "S" to reset the board. Then I selected Game | Levels | Blitz
Game... to set the clock to G/60. Then I selected Game | Levels | Sparring;
left the "Point out wins" check box unchecked, check the "Use clock" check
box and the "Harder" Difficulty radio button. The I clicked on the "Ok"
button. Now I have the board set up and clicked on the switch board to
ensure that Black is on the bottom. Then I pressed the space bar to start
White's clock...

Nope. The problem laughed and flat out told me that it is here to stay...
After 1 minute and 12 seconds Fritz8 played 1.Nf3

Again, I will not continue to contradict your claim of legitimate use, and
do not let my hasty assessment prevent us from working together to fix

your
problem.

I really appreciate your willingness to help.

Sincerely,
MC

Old February 13th 04, 10:25 PM
MC

BTW, I did this on my laptop. I will try it on my desktop and report. But
right now my wife just called us to dinner so I better leave this stuff here
and go... BRB.

MC

Old February 13th 04, 10:34 PM
MC

On my desktop, I get a "Play Fritz" link on the splash screen. Again, I
have to click on it many times to launch the program.

I followed the same steps as before. After 1 minute and 12 seconds, Fritz8
played 1.Nf3.

MC